Air Filter: JCW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Filter: JCW?

It looks like the PO gutted all the "foam and hair" out of the filter and just left the wire mesh. I guess 1100cc's of imported muscle wasn't enough for him/her (lol). So, my question is, am I better off with the original, or should I go with this jcw foam filter? The reusable aspect of this one is tempting me.

link: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...ZX/appId-16263

Thanks, Kevin

P.S. how much oil do the middle/final drives take? I might be able to find it, but even the amount of oil for a change w/ filter confused me there. My dad has some "slick 50 gear lube" around...it claims 80w90, which is what I need. Sound OK? He also has some stuff that he uses in his tractors...I'm guessing it would be about the same weight...is 'about' close enough?

Kevin
    '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
    '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Those are pod filters, ad are OK if you want to get rid of the stock airbox and mount them directly to carbs....(I thought that is what I read) anyway, buy a UNI filter...mine was 6 years old when I sold the bike and still going strong. I just cleaned and reoiled it once a year.

Uni filter bike applications

Make sure you buy a can of UNI filter oil, and when you clean it just use Simple green or even Dawn dishwashing liquid (any thing that cuts grease or oil)

Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I don't bite, despite what it might sound like:

Did you click the link? The picture doesn't make it 'look' like the pod type for individual carbs, imo. JCW's pictures are pretty genaric, though.

"(A) Replaces OEM-style air filter with 2 pod-type elements. "

I can see what you're thinking, but the XS11 part number or anything else doesn't have an "A" in it.

" Custom-fit stock air cleaner assembly—no modifications needed"

That makes me think that it should go in w/ no problem. Am I right? The price seems like that of a single-element filter, not a pod kit. (what would I know about filter prices anyway, lol)

Well, I just found a "UNI" filter online...dunno where I'd find them locally...no dealer locator on their site either.
      http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...0&Style=7336#1

Thanks for the reply!

Kevin
      '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
      '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Working...
      X