Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• light on when i want them on not all the time""

HI OUT THEAR IN THE USA
    IM IN THE UK" AND OVER HERE OUR BIKES DONT HAVE LIGHT ON ALL THE TIME AS I THINK THEY DO IN THE STATES"""
    I HAVE AN 1981 M/SPECIAL
    AND WOULD LIKE TO HAVE LIGHTS ON ONLY AT NIGHT""
    I HAVE ALL THE LIGHT CONTROLS ON BIKE WICH I THINK FORMER OWNER PUT ON BUT DIDNT WIRE UP"""
    HAS ANY ONE GOT AN IDEAR OF HOW TO DO THIS????
    MANY THANKS RICK IN NORFOLK ENGLAND
    ITS NICE TO BE IMPORTANT"
    BUT MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE"

Hello from the Colonies!

Hey there again Noby,

Well, to come on only at night, you'll need an absence of light sensing device that will trigger a relay/latching device to throw the lights on. I know many modest and high priced cars that have sensors like that! I know a photoelectic cell would generate a "little" current that would work on a low powered switch perhaps on some type of little computer controlled device, that could then be connected to a stronger more powerful switch that could handle the bike's 12 volts system to throw a headlight relay, but I'm not an electronic guru, so don't know about how to make one!?

You might be able to find such a device already designed in the aftermarket for cars that might convert to the bike!? What's wrong with your thumb.....switching it by hand instead of adding so much more electrical gizmos to the bike's already weak electrical system!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

lights on

HI THEAR AGAIN"
      I DONT THINK I EXPLAINED MYSELE PROPERLY"""
      ITS NOT MY LIGHTS TO COME ON AUTOMATICALY WHEN IT GETS DARK""""
      ITS JUST A CASE OF ME SWITCHING A SWITCH TO PUT MY LIGHTS ON WHEN I" WANT THEM ON""
      AND NOT FOR THEM TO BE ON ALL THE TIME I.E. DONT WANT LIGHTS ON IN DAYLIGHT"""
      I NEED TO NO HOW TO STOP LIGHTS FROM BEING ALL THE TIME""
      IS THAT ANY CLEARER ??
      MANY THANKS RICK IN THE UK

Comment

LIGHTS ON

SORRY AS SAID BEFORE I HAVE LIGHT CONTROLS ON SWITCHES NR THROTTLE"" BUT SEEMS LIGHTS ARE ON ALL THE TIME""" NEED TO NO HOW TO WIRE THIS UP SO THE SWITCH WILL CONTROL LIGHTS"" AT THIS TIME THEY SEEM TO DO NOTHING ??

Comment

open up the lights switch, check the connections, use some WD40, replace all wires, check wiring diagram if you don't understand what which wire does.
          Wiring diagrams can be found in the tech tips section/sources page or off-site tips.
          AND STOP WRITING WITH CAPS-LOCK ON!
          Geez... and I thaught only guys from texas couldn't spell... (some at least... I think we can all agree Danny can )

LP
          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

lights on"

thanks for that will have alook
            thank you also for telling me abought cap lock we wright like that here in the uk"
            also thanks for takeing the p-ss out of my spelling i am disslexic"""
            but hey"" at least i have the good taste to own a midnight special""
            im not going to take the p-ss out of you""" nature has done that""""
            cheers rick

Comment

If you want to have a switch control the headlamps, you need to get rid of the reserve lighting unit, then you can play with switching the wires that go to the headlamp. I hope you are good with wires, because there are lots of them on this bike and adding/removing/bypassing some can be a pain.

-Justin

Comment

will have ago

"yes i no but have too do it some way cheers

Comment

Working...
                X