Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xz 11 Wont Run After It Warms Up

HI
    I HAVE A 81' XS 1100 ABOUT A YEAR AGO IT STARTED HAVEING A PROBLEM IT DOES NOT WANT TO RUN AFTER IT GETS WARMED UP
    I CANT FIND ANYTHING IN THE MANUAL TO HELP ME ITS BEEN SITTING FOR A YEAR AND I JUST GOT IT RUNNING AGAIN BUT IT STILL HAS THE SAME PROBLEM IF ANYONE CAN HELP I WOULD SOOO APRECIATE IT
    THANKS JAMIN

Dies Hot

From your symptoms I would start with coils but also have a quick check of the pick up coil wires. Other than these two suggestions we will need more symptoms or clues.
    These bikes are notorious for pick up coil wire breakage which could be (likely) your problem but coils as they get hot usually break down. But not both coils. So if the bike is up and dying, not trying to run on two cylinders go after the pick up coils.
    Go to the left side of this page, click on Tech Tips. You will find all you need to know on checking and repairing them.
    Ken/Sooke

Comment

Also, try opening the gastank filler lid when she starts to die - could be fuel starvation.
      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Is it possible his intake is sucking air and it only runs when it is getting a rich mix from the choke?
        79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
        80 XS650 Special
        85 KAW 454 LTD
        Dirty Dan

Comment

coils and pick up coil wires are fine

I HAD THE COILS TESTED AND THEY WERE FINE ALSO THE PICK UP COIL WIRES READ 760 OHMS AND I STRIPED THEM AND REPLACED THEM ANYWAY IT SEEMS THAT MY #3 CYLINDER FIRES SOME TIMES BUT NOT ENOUGH TO MAKE THE PIPE TO HOT TO TOUCH
          THE REST ARE REALLY HOT AS THEY SHOULD BE IM STILL TRYING
          TO LOCATE THE PROBLEM ANY OTHER TIP WOULD BE HELPFULL
          THANKS SO MUCH
          JAMIN

Comment

Dieing Engine

Jamin, first off, stop shouting at us. Take your cap lock off!
            Next, pull all 4 plugs and have a good look at them. Do they tell you anything. Running rich, running lean, 3 that look nicely tanned and number 3 is pure white or soaking wet with fuel or oil? Long range diagnosis is difficult with out more information.
            If number 3 is pure white then that carb is not suppling any or enough fuel. If soaking wet with fuel than number 3 carb is flooding. (stuck float, needle and seat not seating, float level too high?)
            If wet with oil, defective spark plug, bad valve guide or valve guide seal, or bad rings. Do a compression test to make sure that you have a good cylinder to work with.
            More info and less shouting!
            Ken/Sooke

Comment

Pilot circuit is plugged. Read the post on bogging down.

Bogging down.
              "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

hi there i had exact same prob with mine last week ,i know it sounds stupid but i think mine was the plugs as i changed these and the fuel pipes as they were perished ,and after that it was back to its self again mine cut out after 2 mins of hard riding and would start but run ruff after waiting 1-2 mins then run on 3 cylinders until it was cool then it was great for the 2 mins again
                Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Comment

Working...
                X