Where's the kicker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the kicker?

There I was, leaning over my XS11 sidecar outfit with a mirror on a stick trying to read the oil level in that little dark window thinking "why no dipstick you dipsticks?" when the writing around a plastic plug suddenly focussed in my mind. "Kickstarter" it said, but there ain't one!
    There musta been one once?
    Are it's innards still in there?
    Could I find the appropriate parts & install them?
    A friend has a KLR with the same BS but he says Kawasaki will sell you the externals as a kit or fit one to a new KLR for a premium. I also know the XS650's left exhaust valve cover had four M8 studs instead of three M6 ones like the others until end of production because of the compression release they only fitted in '72. Doubtless this is more of the same?
    Fred Hill, S'toon.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

What year you got? Kickstarts ended after '79. Funny story, my friend had a 79 for about 3 years when one day we were chenging the oil, and he spotted the actual kickstarter clamped to the frame. He said "Hey! I have a kickstarter!" he he . Of course I don't think he's ever even tried to move that engine with his foot.

I think (just guessing) that they used the same mold for the covers later on, but had realized that only an elephant could kick them over anyway, so they ditched the functionality.
    Nothing like a ride on a straight 4.

Or toying with death on my 1983 Maico 490 Spider. Only fractured 3 bones so far.

Comment

Actually, a normal human can kickstart an XS11 as long as the battery has enough juice to push through the coils. I've had to do it several times - there is something in the engine that lowers the compression or something like that to make it easier to kickstart when you apply pressure to the lever. I don't remember where exactly I read about it.
      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Nope, nothing to lower the compression. Just a simple gear trasfer to the primary shaft/crank.
        The kickstarter is located under the toolbox, accessible from the right side. If there is a butterfly bolt thingie there, get it out and the kickstarter should fall off.

LP
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

kicking effort

Hi Maicorider,
          what timespan between the broken bones, in what %age of Maico rides do you sustain fractures?
          You mean the kicker ain't bolted on, it's clipped someplace in case of need? I'm told they gave up on it after '79 and mine is an '80.
          I don't see vast kicking effort being needed, there's certainly plenty of parasitic drag in that big motor but only one 275cc piston is on compression at one time.
          Years ago a friend had a Maicoletta scooter, 250cc single 2-stroke with rock'n'roll electric starter yet. Having memorised all the Germanic stickers on it he'd discuss removing his hekverkliedung to access his benzinenhahn for service.
          Fred Hill, S'toon.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

My starter is on the blink so I've been using the kickstart on my 79 Special for a couple of months now. It's not too hard and I only weigh 160 lbs., usually it starts after one or two tries. I kinda like kickin it old school (when I choose to that is!)
            Robert
            79 SF

Comment

I was pleasantly surprised to discover the kicker right where it was supposed to be - on my 78e parts donor.

Ben
              1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
              1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
              1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
              1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
              1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
              1982 XS650
              1980 XS1100g
              1979 XS1100sf
              1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Let's see, I've been on lots of rides, and on 2 occasions did I suffer fractures. About a 8 months apart. Haven't been out much last year or so, dealing with doctors telling me I need another surgery, so I've been nice to myself. But I found a wonderful accupuncturist who's got me quite straight. I can walk, run, even golf again! So the maico will be coming back out soon (Don't tell my doctors!)

as of 80, they did away with them, the 80's still have the word 'kickstarter' on the cover, and a plug, but I don't think the mechanism's in there. Of course, I haven't taken it apart to look either. I'm on an 80SG myself, so I wouldn't know about the joys or pains of kickstarting one. I suppose it makes sense that there's drag but only 1 cyl compressing. Sounds safer than kicking that maico. When it kicks, I fly. he heeee!
                Nothing like a ride on a straight 4.

Or toying with death on my 1983 Maico 490 Spider. Only fractured 3 bones so far.

Comment

I've ruined all of my athletic shoes trying to kickstart my XL500 Honda (with compression release). It sometimes has a NASTY kickback and my shoes have holes punched in the bottoms.

Ben

Formerly:
                  1982 XS650
                  1980 XS1100g
                  1979 XS1100sf
                  1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Stout boots!

That's what you need Ben, stout boots. "Athletic shoe" is just yuppiespeak for "sneaker" after all; of course they don't stand up to kickstarting. OTOH a 10" double soled steel-reinforced arch Engineer's boot won't get no holes punched in it, right?
                    Fred Hill, S'toon.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Foot Wear

Wearing runners while motorcycling is asking for severe pain in more ways than one. Boots my good man, boots.
                      Did they not explain that at your motorcycle training course?
                      Ken/Sooke

Comment

Okay okay. I have the gear. Sometimes I make a quick run around the block (due to street legal bike) without the boots...

;-)

Ben

Formerly:
                        1982 XS650
                        1980 XS1100g
                        1979 XS1100sf
                        1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

A small change - - -

- - - for the "truth in advertising" statutes?
                          Maicorider points out that the cover on the '80 still says "KICKSTARTER" although there ain't one and the hole is plugged.
                          I fully understand that as the legend is in raised letters the die the cover is cast in must have had those same letters cut into it and to have machined them out would have been expensive and would have left a raised arc of metal in their place which'd look ugly.
                          However, on the '80 model XS11 "KICKSTARTER" is a LIE!
                          A simple change; to have machined "NO" into the mold just in front of the existing legend, would not have cost much but would have cleared up any misunderstanding.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

kickstart my heart!

I just read this thread and immediately went outside to see what I could on the underside of my XS1100SF.

On my other two bikes (XS750 and XS850) I had used the kickstarter exclusively. There's just something about starting a bike with a kicker that feels really good. Maybe I'm old fashioned. And admittedly I was a little sad when I didn't see one on the XS1100SF when I went to look at it. Its a great bike though and figured the kickstarter would be an acceptional casualty for all the other great stuff that would make up for it.

So, when I got outside, the kicker was right where it was supposed to be, went on like butter and started on the first boot. As easy if not easier than the last two little monsters.

Thanks for this thread. I won't be using the kicker everytime I start the bike now, but I sure am glad to know its there if I need it.

These bikes effin rip!
                            I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
                            //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

Comment

question then...

I just bought a '79 xs1100 special and it has the kicker shaft coming out of it with a rubber boot on it. Does this mean if I could find the appropriate kickstarter shaft I could just bolt it on and use it? My '80 XS850 had it and I miss kickstarting...

Thanks,
                              Clark

Comment

Working...
                              X