Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yup.
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Re: question then...

Originally posted by CWilliamson
      I just bought a '79 xs1100 special and it has the kicker shaft coming out of it with a rubber boot on it. Does this mean if I could find the appropriate kickstarter shaft I could just bolt it on and use it? My '80 XS850 had it and I miss kickstarting...

Thanks,
      Clark
      Sure does I believe they removed that shaft in either 80 or 81. The kicker is mounted under the air box from the factory if I remember correctly
      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

ahhh...

Thanks for the replies. Since it doesn't look like the cap has ever been removed the kicker is probably still there and since the starter sounds a little weak (though the fact that it was being jumpstarted might have lent itself to that) and there was some grinding too it. I might be using it once I go over the entire bike with a fine tooth comb.

Clark

Comment

Originally posted by ae7f
          I've ruined all of my athletic shoes trying to kickstart my XL500 Honda (with compression release). It sometimes has a NASTY kickback and my shoes have holes punched in the bottoms.

Ben
          Kickstarting a big single (or twin) requires one to master the technique or suffer the consequences. With or without a compression release, the two-stroke stomp method will leave you limping.

Try this, it works much better for starting big bores without the pain.

1. Bring it up close to top dead center on a compression stroke with the key OFF.
          2. Allow the kickstarter to return.
          3. Place left knee on seat, right foot on kicker with your right leg bent at the knee a bit.
          4. Turn key on, then drop all of your weight on the kicker, keeping the knee bent a little.
          **Very important: DO NOT touch the throttle until the bike fires. If you happen to roll the throttle open even a little while you are kicking it, I can almost guarantee that it will kick back... hard.

As long as you keep your right leg bent, you won't suffer the over extended leg injuries if it kicks back. Sooner or later, one will get you if you kick with your leg locked straight and rigid.

Early Sportsters were notorious for causing that particular injury. You can spot the Sportster riders at a bike meet by looking for the guys that limp with their right leg.

Comment

I had an SR500 for a couple of years, big dummy that I am I sold it, but anyway, my 78E is a pice of cake to kick start compared to it. If you didn't do it right, and really commit to the kick you would definatly feel it in the morning. Four 275 cc cylinders are much easier to kick than one of 500cc.
            78E ... Gone but not forgotten
            2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Not a cat in hells chance of kicking over my Wiseco 1196 when cold. My XR500 was a lot easier. Can do it when hot - but still not a pleasant experience.

Comment

Working...
              X