Pickup coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup coils

I'm pretty sure I've found a source for pickup coils that will fit on the XS11 with a slight modification. I'm going test these on my bike along with my custom made ignition box.

Assuming I'm satisifed with the results, would a set of replacment pickup coils in the $60 be something youse guys would consider a good deal?

I'm expecting hotter spark with my ignition box and if it works it'll also be in the $60 range if I market it.

Let me know what you think.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Sounds good to me.
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

I might be interested in something like that if the mod's are simple, durable without damage to other components, and performance is not adversly affected from stock.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Let me take a wild guess, Geezer:

Nippon Denso?

I think you and I are working along the same lines, but I'm not looking for a pickup coil replacement. Once you get past the wire problem, the coils themselves are very strurdy. I'm concentrating on the TCI box replacement.

Let's see who posts their solution first. How about a friendly race?

Randy

Comment

ignition

I've been working on the idea of using two GM HEI type ignition modules. (One for each coil.)

They are reletively cheap and are triggered by an inductive pickup like the xs uses.
          The wiring is very simple, requiring only a ground, 12v power. a lead to the coil and two wires to the pick up.

This would only work on the xs that uses mechanical and vacuum advance. (But that's what both of mine have.)
          Walt
          80 XS11s - "Landshark"
          79 XS11s
          03 Valkyrie
          80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
          78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
          81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

Originally posted by randy
            Let me take a wild guess, Geezer:

Nippon Denso?

I think you and I are working along the same lines, but I'm not looking for a pickup coil replacement. Once you get past the wire problem, the coils themselves are very strurdy. I'm concentrating on the TCI box replacement.

Let's see who posts their solution first. How about a friendly race?

Randy
            You're pretty close. Anyway my R&D budget is rather small so I'm not going to race you on this one but when it's a finished product, it'll be up for sale on my website.

Geezer

Comment

Originally posted by skids
              I might be interested in something like that if the mod's are simple, durable without damage to other components, and performance is not adversly affected from stock.
              The only mods will be made to the pick up coils. As it looks now, all that will be required is a miniscule amount of grinding to the mount and wiring up the connector.

Geezer

Comment

Re: ignition

Originally posted by Hobbit
                I've been working on the idea of using two GM HEI type ignition modules. (One for each coil.)

They are reletively cheap and are triggered by an inductive pickup like the xs uses.
                The wiring is very simple, requiring only a ground, 12v power. a lead to the coil and two wires to the pick up.

This would only work on the xs that uses mechanical and vacuum advance. (But that's what both of mine have.)
                We're on the same track here. I've ordered a handfull of the modules and I hope to be testing them soon.

I also plan to use these same componets to make electronic ignition kits for older bikes. Like I said before my R&D budjet is rather small and all this will take some time.

Geezer

Comment

Working...
                X