Aftermarket exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket exhaust

I am overhauling a 1978 XS1100 my father-in-law gave to me. Does anyone know of any exhaust system options? I understand Mac offers a four into two system. I'm trying to keep the sound as close to factory (quiet) as possible. Thanks!

Jeff
    '78 XS1100E
    '83 XVZ12

Jardine

I believe Jardine also offers a 4-1 eXhaust system for theese monsters as well.(saw it in dennis kirk catalog).
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

http://www.accwhse.com/jardine.htm#Exhausts

Look for 19010 - Chrome 4-1 or 19011 Black 4-1

These will fit a 78E.

Tough to find any OEM replacements.
      Marty in NW PA
      Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
      Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
      This IS my happy face.

Comment

IF the headers are in decent shape, but the mufflers are shot, you can get bolt/clamp on replacements as well, JCW sells them along with even getting some simple Harley FatBoys that many shops have since many Harley owners trade for those louder ones!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Sorry replied too soon

http://www.accwhse.com/mac.htm#Exhausts

Mac has a standard 4-2 chrome, probably more quiet than a 4-1.

look for #14907
          Marty in NW PA
          This IS my happy face.

Comment

Right again, Marty.

This morning I just finished installing the MAC 4-into-2. Got it from Motorcycle Accessory warehouse, too. It looks freaking great. The fit was 95% spot-on except for the center stand, I had to bend the footpad arm out about an inch. That's it. Clears the oil filter, too.

This afternoon I'm going to sync my carbs and set the idles. Changed back to the original pilots. (K&N pilot victim). I'll let you know how it sounds.

Cheers,

Randy

Comment

Randy,
              Have you got any pictures of your new exhaust installed? I've got a 4-into-1 with Kerker and it's LOUD - I've wanted to go back to something a little more 'stock' since I picked my '80 XS1100 SG.
              I love the bike; how it rides, handles, accelerates, but don't care too much for the 'modified exhaust sound'...
              Thanks, Ron

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

hey unkle

Hey unkle i'm looking for a 4-1 keker, if your interested in getting rid of it let me know. TIA . By the way i have a stock xj mufflers in decent shape head pipes not good.
                1982 XJ 1100
                going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

OK, guys. I just took her for a ride and to sum it up WHOOOOOOEEEE!!.

With the pilot jets swapped back to the originals and the 4-into-2 MAC she's phenominal. Even on a 5th gear roll-on I near wet myself.

This exhaust sounds a bit throatier than stock, but not loud like a HOG, and I've got a slight pop on decelleration. Nothing a pilot tweek shouldn't fix.

It's good to be back in the saddle with the best two-wheeler ever built.

I'll post some photos of the exhaust on my home page for you guys that are interested, but it won't be for week or so. You know, I work far from home, so everything takes me a week or so to get done!

Randy

Comment

Funny, I bought the Mangler with a 4-1 and indy filters, and I am perfectly happy with it. But those with the 'standard' setup are always happy with theirs.

Guess you really can't hurt a good thing.
                    Marty in NW PA
                    This IS my happy face.

Comment

Pop on Decel

Randy, when you replaced the exhaust did you use new gasket/washers where the header pipes clamp into the cylinder head exhaust ports? If not a small air leak at this point will cause your pop, pop on decel.
                      Ken/Sooke

Comment

Yes, dear. I did use new washers. Thanks anyway, ken. I'm pretty sure it's a mixture thing. I'll sort it out next week.

Cheers,

Randy

Comment

Randy,

Are the mufflers on your MAC 4-2 exhaust megaphone, turnout, or taper tip?

Comment

John,
                            If you notice my MAC 4 into 2's you can see they are cutoff right after the inside baffle. This way you can easily remove the rear wheel.
                            "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

how about a black exh.system??

chrome is a pain to clean, and black looks soooooooo much better... anyone know of a 4-into-2 black exh.system that someone sells? TIA - Uncle Spot

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
                              X