Custom LED tail light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom LED tail light

Well This thread was lost when the hacker hit last. So , I'm restarting it again. I have been sitting here for the past several hours and have gotten the running light section done...
    I am going to love it already... I will post pics when its done...

So far the cost is at $62, but that also includes the parts for the rear turn signals too. Prolly kind of high but hey... I am getting what I want... Oh yea... there are 40 LEDs for regular driving light..lol SWMBO about had a fit when i told her how much it was so far..lol
    Shawn
    78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
    78 XS1100E Parts
    www.hotrod1972.com

been wanting to

Let us know the parts list when you get it done. Good luck.
    There's always a way, figure it out.
    78XS11E

Comment

after i get done, I will type up a parts and source list for the project. I really wish i had a differnt backing plate to cut on so i dont mess up the nice original. I need to remove the bulb holders for more clearance to the back of the board. I think i will get a new lens too since mine has had the clear part painted by someone else. Plus, mine has a few cracks and scratches.
      Shawn
      78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
      78 XS1100E Parts
      www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

How much hardware are you puting in there shawn? I mean I don't have a regulator an stuff on mine, just a bunch of resistors sticking up, and I have an inch or two of clearance. I just glued my circuit board to the back of the lense after taking the clear reflector out. the board fit in the reflectors place. And that section does take a bit of a beating(ruff roads, etc.), so your construction needs to be sturdy. The heavier you make it, I think the worse it will bounce, so if you've got other circuitry, I would build a separate module somewhere else, like under the seat.
        1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
        1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
        1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
        2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
        2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

well, last night about 1 am i finished soldering the board together... I had my 19 yr old son come in to look at it from across the bed room... from 20 ft away he said the runninig section was bright....... then i lit the brake section and blinded him to where he was seeing big spots for about 5 min..then is just had to ask him...." Think its bright enough?".lol

I am going to try to get it installed on the bike today and get day and night before and after pictures... will post them as soon as i get done. .. time to get to work now.....
          Shawn
          78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
          78 XS1100E Parts
          www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

anyone ever seen a clear brake light lens???/ the red kinda dims down the light... but so far looks good
            Shawn
            78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
            78 XS1100E Parts
            www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Hey there Shawn,

I've seen clear ones for other newer bikes, and for the turn signals on ours, but not to replace our OEM one, that's why I cut out the center of mine, but left in the clear diffusor and just put a clear cover over the opening. Did you see my tech tip pictures!?

Also, was going to suggest that you DO put the lights as far back in the light holder as you can, that way the diffusor edges on the sides can catch some of the light, and help show up the bike from the sides better, since the LED's are very narrow aimed towards the posterior!!??
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
              X