changing rear wheels...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing rear wheels...

...I screwed up: I have an '80 Special, and got a 'different' XS11 (standard?) rear wheel that is a 17" - whereas the special SF/SG are 16"s

...without pulling my 16" and trying to mount this 17", I was wondering if someone had already done it...(?)

sorry for my poor wording, and bad communications...

1980 XS1100SG

depends?

If your changing the whole wheel aasembly go for it.If you are thinking mounting a 17 inch tire on a 16 inch wheel DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT! Yes it will slid right on chances are slim to none that it will hold air,and even if it does your playing with your life there. Return the wheel and get the correct size for your rim.But if i'm reading you incorrectly forget i piped in at all.
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

....no, I *know* a 16" wheel goes w/ a 16" tire, and 17" wheel with a 17" tire...

...my question (originally) was: will a 17" wheel/tire fit my 1980 XS1100 SG, that now has a 16" wheel/tire? ...is it possible to pull the axle, drop the rear wheel/tire and mount the larger diameter wheel/tire? ...IOW will the splines of the drive gear and wheel hub match up, and work, or did I waste my money...?

...has ANYone tried this yet? ...did your gas mileage improve? ...did you gain any more MPH on the top end? ...did it look too 'funky'? ...thoughts?????

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

As I would imagine...
        You would lose a little off the line pep.
        You'd improve MPG.
        You might have to do something to the shocks to insure you'd have appropriate clearance.
        But what do I know?

It's all theory. I'd give it a shot and see what happens. Keep us posted.
        I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
        //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

Comment

Hey there UncleSpot,

I did a search and all I could find was where folks have put a 16" Special rear wheel on a Standard frame, cause they wanted to lower it, not too many folks have commented about going the other way.

The Special seems to have a different collar against the wheel over the bearing seal, and the wheel seems to be thinner/not as wide as the standard, hence the need for this thicker spacer. They all spoke about having to make spacers to allow the Special wheel to fit in the Standard frame! I would think that the swingarm is the same width, and it's the different brake bracket and narrower special wheel that causes the need for the spacers.

So...if the Standard wheel is wider, then you may not need that thicker spacer with the standard wheel in your special frame? The splines will align just fine, they are the same fit!! IT's just getting the right side spacing with the brake bracket and swing arm axle bolt section that will come into play, from what I can see and have read.

I'm going to the Yamaha parts catalog right now and check on the part numbers for the special and standard swing arm to verify that they are the same #, which would indicate the same width!?
          HTH?? T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Parts followup!

Okay, the Standard and Specials are the same for the swingarm assembly, the driveshaft housings.

The brake/torque plates are different #'s, and the Specials only show 1 large wheel collar that acts both as a spacer and cover for the bearing seal. The standard shows 2 collars, one thin one for just over the bearing seal, and then a second one that mates to the brake/torque plate!

So, as long as you have the collar that fits on the 17" wheel and covers the bearing and mates with the inner axle/bearing sleeve, then you just may need to find some large washer/spacers to fit againt the brake/torque plate, or it may not be needed cause the Standard wheel is a little wider. The thing will be to have the brake holder line up with the brake disc....use spacers to make it fit!! HTH?
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Re: changing rear wheels...

Originally posted by UncleSpot
              ...I screwed up: I have an '80 Special, and got a 'different' XS11 (standard?) rear wheel that is a 17" - whereas the special SF/SG are 16"s

...without pulling my 16" and trying to mount this 17", I was wondering if someone had already done it...(?)
              I replaced the 16" wheel on the Mongrel with a 17" one last week. Fortunatly I had the brake stay and spacers from a parts bike.

BTW, it now runs about 600 RPM slower at 65 MPH.

Anybody need a good 16" rear wheel?

Geezer
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

BTW, it now runs about 600 RPM slower at 65 MPH.
                Are you sure on this number? Doesn't seem possible. The circumference of a Dunlop MT90B-17 is 82.205 inches. The same figure for the MT90B-16 is 80.698 inches. This difference is only about 2.5 inches, or 3.1 percent. Assuming 4,500 RPM at 65 mph on the 16, the RPM drop should be to 4,360 rpm (4,500 times .969) or a drop of 140 rpm.

To put it another way, multiply the 4,500 by .031 and you get a reduction of 131.50 rpm. Since I rounded my numbers off a bit I expect to be some differences, but 130 - 140 RPM should be the expected drop, not 600.

Circumfrence is 3.14 (pi) times the diameter of the tire. The 16 inch diameter is 25.70 inches, the 17 is 26.18. Numbers are from the Dunlop web page for K495 Elite II rear tires, MT90B16 and MT90B17.

Guys, check my math, maybe I am wrong, but I just don't see how the rpm could drop that much by going to the 17 inch rim.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
                  Are you sure on this number? Doesn't seem possible. The circumference of a Dunlop MT90B-17 is 82.205 inches. The same figure for the MT90B-16 is 80.698 inches. This difference is only about 2.5 inches, or 3.1 percent. Assuming 4,500 RPM at 65 mph on the 16, the RPM drop should be to 4,360 rpm (4,500 times .969) or a drop of 140 rpm.

<snip>

Circumfrence is 3.14 (pi) times the diameter of the tire. The 16 inch diameter is 25.70 inches, the 17 is 26.18. Numbers are from the Dunlop web page for K495 Elite II rear tires, MT90B16 and MT90B17.
                  Neither of the tires in the swap were Dunlops. The old 16" wheel had a crappy Kenda on it that I was more than happy to get rid of. The new 17" tire is an Avon Roadrunner. I'm pretty sure the it's 600 RPM (or pretty close to it) slower at 65MPH.

I'll measure them later on and let you know the difference. The sad part is it's still getting only 31 MPG. I was hoping that one of the changes would be better economy on the open road.

Geezer

Comment

I swap 17 and 16 all the time depending on what im doing the brake issue is the only problem just use some wasers to get proper fit. the 16 inch wheel is better for drag racing, and the 17 is better for hwy type speed.
                    copy and paste
                    http://www.imagestation.com/members/turbox79

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry

I recall reading one of the magazine tests that compared a Special and a standard. They complained about a vibration at a particular rpm at road speed, and said that the Special was turning about 500 rpm faster at the same speed which was enough to get past the vibration point. Maybe there was enough difference in the tire profiles of the test bikes that affected the gearing that much?

Comment

Originally posted by Renegade
                        I recall reading one of the magazine tests that compared a Special and a standard. They complained about a vibration at a particular rpm at road speed, and said that the Special was turning about 500 rpm faster at the same speed which was enough to get past the vibration point. Maybe there was enough difference in the tire profiles of the test bikes that affected the gearing that much?
                        With the 16" rear wheel it was buzzy and 4000 rpm at 55 MPH but With the 17" at the 4000 rpm and around 60 mph it's not buzzy.

I'm not sure how much top speed is effected as I've never had it over 90 mph. Part of being geezerly is that I don't ride all that fast any more.

Geezer

Comment

Re: Re: changing rear wheels...

Originally posted by Geezer

Anybody need a good 16" rear wheel?

Geezer
                          Yeah- how much?
                          Rule 1: Pillage, then burn.
                          Rule 13: Do unto others
                          www.schlockmercenary.com

Comment

Re: Re: Re: changing rear wheels...

Originally posted by iron_llama

Yeah- how much?
                            Make me an offer. Also will you need the spacers.

Another thing to consider is the shipping cost of a heavy rear wheel from Oregon.

Comment

One more thing, I'll swap you straight across for a 17" if you pay the freight.

Check out FedEx ground for a shipping quote to and from 97062.

Geezer

Comment

Working...
                              X