No announcement yet.

Special vs Standard: Aesthetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've owned both, a '81 SH and now a '79F.

I found the special tank way too small. The way these bikes eat up the miles I need more range. But then I like long rides. The seat on the special is a bit too far forward, too. It cradles your butt and keeps you from sliding back. A change of position is occasionally needed, but the stock seat limits your movements.

HOWEVER, I do prefer the look of the special over the standard. So there you go, back to personal choice, I guess.

Perfect scenario: a special for around - the - town, and a standard for the long haul. I'll keep dreaming.

There's my 2 cents.

Randy

Comment

Hay, there is no question about the Specials looks. I keep a Special around just for that reason. I can't ride it far, my butt starts to burn and my back gets tired quickly (100 miles).

I have enjoyed modifing my Standard to look more like how I which Yamaha would have evolved it. Plus I have changed the riding position to be very comfortable for me. I can do 600 mile days with no back pain and minimal butt fatique (after 400miles it start getting tired of sitting on the bike).
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

Specials Rock!!!!

Just ask me, I'll tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by John
          Specials Rock!!!!

Just ask me, I'll tell you.
          That's funny, I always thought the specials looked like a bad imitation of a Triumph chopper. ;o) That's why my Mongrel has lost most of the special features.

I'm also restoring a 79 Standard and it'll get a sportier treatment while the Mongrel will be more of a touring bike.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Now I always thought that the Special was what Yamaha intended the bike to look like but didn't quite have it figured out in 78, but they put the bike on the market anyhow, then they got the styling down right.

Comment

They didn't get it right until the XJ...Styling of the Special, range of a Standard, plus air-adjustable suspension and all-electronic ignition. On the down side, the stock seat is terrible for long trips......

ducking and running.......
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I said Specials... dammit!
                Especially black ones.

If the XJ is the answer, then why did Yama only sell it for one year in the U.S.? Huh? Huh? Huh?

swinging blindly...

Comment

I must admit - I love the way the XJ's look. It just seems they are the cadillac specials... electrics, bells & whistles, more styling, etc.

I'm 6'1" and I think the special feels way more comfortable for me. However, my 79sf I just got runs like a piece of crap right now so I haven't had a chance to try any distance runs on it.

Ben
                  1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                  1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                  1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                  1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                  1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                  1982 XS650
                  1980 XS1100g
                  1979 XS1100sf
                  1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

I think Specials look great as long as they don't have handle bars that even slightly resemble the stock ones....I hate the way they feel and hate the looks even more!
                    I have clubmans turned upside down on mine.....my friends say it looks like Batmans bike with them!
                    Garry
                    '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                    outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Here is the thing (my opinion of course). If all a bike had to do was sit around and look good, the Special would do very well. When I ride, I look way down the road. So, how a bike looks, just does not mean much to me. How it feels is everything.

On my Special, I feel like I am riding a recliner, sitting back watching the front wheel cruise down the road, the world floating by. I feel disconnected from the ride, even a bit behind the action. Cruising the local streets scoping the babes, the recliner is the way to go.

When on my "F", I feel like I am sitting out-front of a rocket, the way a F16 pilot must feel. The machine behind me, pushing me through space. In the corners, I am right there. Eyeball to eyeball with every aspect of the turns.

I started riding XSs on Specials. I too considered the Standard to be an ugly duckling. But, the first time I rode one, I was hooked. I believe the Standard to be the true essence of the XS1100 and the Special, a permutation built to appease a “Special” market.

Ride on!
                      DZ
                      Vyger, 'F'
                      "The Special", 'SF'
                      '08 FJR1300

Comment

In 1978 I worked in a Honda shop that was right next to a Yamaha shop. I rode an R5 Yamaha 2 stroker in those days and I thought the XS11 was an instant classic but I would have prefered chain drive. Now I think I prefer the shaft drive...

I remember test riding a new CBX the same time a mechanic from the Yamaha shop was test riding an XS11. We both would have been tarred and feathered fi we had raced so we reved the engines a bit an jokingly sneared.

Geezer
                        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I bought my Special for it's looks and have received many compliments on it...including from Harley, BMW, and Ducati owners! I do agree about the handlebars though. I've replaced mine and it is more comfortable. I can do 300-400 mile rides with no problem.
                          Robert
                          79 SF

Comment

My Experience

I have a 1980 xs special, and even after fifty miles I am thinking about stopping. I have gone a hundred miles before stopping and it took me a few minutes to be able to walk normal. Robert, what kind of handlebars did you put on, and did you go to the 17 inch wheel on back. I really like how my bike looks, but I agree the stock seat doesn't let you move around much. I am a little over six two and 240 lbs. One time I rode from 40 miles east of Denver, Colo.--- to 60 miles north of Twin Falls, (approx 800 miles)Idaho in one day and I didn't even look at my bike for a month

Bruce

Hailey, Idaho.....

Comment

Maybe that's the whole deal here - seats.

For now I have a trashy seat from a '78e on my '79sf. It's the ugly flat seat. It's reduces seat height and allows me to move anywhere I want. Maybe that's why it's more comfy.

I have a travelcade king/queen seat on my '80g and I feel way too far back from the handlebars.

Ben
                              1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                              1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                              1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                              1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                              1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                              1982 XS650
                              1980 XS1100g
                              1979 XS1100sf
                              1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

I got LTD handlebars per Merriam Cycle's recommendation. But I would suggest trying different handlebars (perhaps at a junkyard or dealer) to see what actually feels best as there are so many variations, and you don't really know till you try it.
                                The seat may be as much of a factor as I could do day rides ok with my stock handlebars. My '79 special seat is only slightly stepped, so I can and do move around on it (I do have a small butt though ) . Here's a good link for aftermarket seats - www.bmwrt.com/faq/sadles.htm. I still have my stock 16" rear wheel.
                                Robert
                                79 SF

Comment

Working...
                                X