Special vs Standard: Aesthetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special vs Standard: Aesthetics

Okay, I'm falling for the looks of the special. But not only that, it feels much lighter for some reason. I suspect that the smaller rear wheel and front end account for this. Are the front forks shorter, too? Feels that way.

Steering on my Special is tighter, too. Just feels to me like the riding position is more like a Suzuki GS650 or something.

I can't tell if my Special is faster than my Standard. The smaller wheel would account for some feel of acceleration I suppose...

Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

Re: Special vs Standard: Aesthetics

Originally posted by ae7f
    Okay, I'm falling for the looks of the special. But not only that, it feels much lighter for some reason. I suspect that the smaller rear wheel and front end account for this. Are the front forks shorter, too? Feels that way.

Steering on my Special is tighter, too. Just feels to me like the riding position is more like a Suzuki GS650 or something.

I can't tell if my Special is faster than my Standard. The smaller wheel would account for some feel of acceleration I suppose...

Ben
    It's all in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I think the Special screwed up a good bike. I've standardize a special and now I call it my XS11 Mongrel. I'll be riding it until I get my 79 Standard restored.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I originally was only interested in finding a Midnight but after hanging around with you guys. I'm starting to like em all. My Harley buds think I must have hit my head or something
      Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"
      2000 Heritage "Snow White"

Comment

Originally posted by Underdog
        I originally was only interested in finding a Midnight but after hanging around with you guys. I'm starting to like em all. My Harley buds think I must have hit my head or something
        Naw, they're just POed because your old bike blows theirs away.

Have you ever noticed that Harley guys think they out ran another rider if the other guy backs off first? I have this thing about going more than 2x the speed limit in town.

Geezer

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer

Have you ever noticed that Harley guys think they out ran another rider if the other guy backs off first?
          Geezer
          Yep, I have seen that from both sides of the fence. It works both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Renegade

Yep, I have seen that from both sides of the fence. It works both ways.
            Many years ago I was out riding my old Moto Guzzi early on a Sunday morning on Hwy 99e along the Willamette River between Canby and Oregon City. Somewhere in the curves I passed a guy on a Harley. Over the next several miles I caught a few glimpses of him in my rear view mirrors but I didn’t think anything of it. I wasn’t racing; I was just having a good time. When I was closing in on Oregon City, I figured I’d better slow down because the up coming area was a notorious speed trap. About 90 seconds later the guy on the Harley passed me at about 100 mph when I dropped to the old double nickel.

I’ll be he’s still bragging about how he blew by that guy on the Italian bike.

Geezer

Comment

Hey Ben,

My XS11 has always been "special".

What's new with you?

Bob
              Bob Udy

Comment

I love the looks of the Specials. My brother has an E and I have the SF. Shortly after I bought mine (the first time) we took them out to the interstate in the boonies and slowed to about 30 mph. When he nodded, we twisted hard. I pulled a slight lead through second, third, and fourth. By the time we hit fifth gear, he was passing me and I never could catch him. I topped out at 135 and he said he topped at 145. That sounds about right considering his has a 17" rear wheel and mine a 16".

The only regret I have about the Special is its limited range due to smaller fuel capacity.

Comment

Just the newest aquisition to the stable, Bob. Now I know that bikes do snarl at each other at night.

I've just been trying to iron out the carbs on the 79sf. It has a pretty strong motor but I don't think I'm getting everything out of it - flat spots, rich spots, etc.

Have you done any summer riding yet?

Ben

Formerly:
                  1982 XS650
                  1980 XS1100g
                  1979 XS1100sf
                  1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

I've been in kind of a slump as far as riding this last couple of months.

I got layed off from my main job in the middle of April. I now have the opportunity to look for a new career. I haven't had to look for work in over 28 years. It's a whole new ball game out there today.

In addition to the self-marketing campaign, we moved into the new house we built last year. I have landscaping and sprinkler system, etc. to work on. TOO MANY PROJECTS!!!!

Plus The Dark Horse needs some attention. I have yet to figure out what is exactly going on. Sometimes it seems electrical, sometimes mechanical. I just need time to work on her.

You been riding down there?

You still in school?

Ride safe. We'll talk to you later.

Bob
                    Bob Udy

Comment

Specials are great for around town cruising. The Standard is for serious long range riding. I can beat a Special to a 1000 mile destination simply because I will require 4 less gas stops.

With that said, each model's looks reflect their respective functionality.

Besides, I can out corner a Special any day!
                      (settle down Special owners, just pull'n your chain).
                      Last edited by Dennyz; 07-11-2004, 08:00 PM.
                      DZ
                      Vyger, 'F'
                      "The Special", 'SF'
                      '08 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by Dennyz
                        Specials are great for around town cruising. The Standard is for serious long range riding. I can beat a Special to a 1000 mile destination simply because I will require 4 less gas stops.

With that said, each model's looks reflect their respective functionality.

Besides, I can out corner a Special any day!
                        (settle down Special owners, just pull'n your chain).
                        Bull that's no cain pulling that's the gospell truth. I've riden behind you (way, way behind...)

Geezer
                        (still hoping to make one of my XS11s like yours.)

Comment

Special vrs Standard

I don't think you are pulling their chain DZ. Someone I know in the neighborhood phoned me this afternoon who has a Special. He just bought himself an 2000 VStar 1100 and wanted to know if I wanted to buy his Special. Not 20 minutes ago I came back from taking it for a ride. What a terrible riding position and handle bar arrangement. The steering felt very heavy and it rode like truck as far as I'm concerned. I can ride my XS1100 Standard 500 miles in a day. I doubt if I could ride that Special more than 50 before getting off for walk. I guess they only need peanut size tanks on them, you can't ride them far enough in one go to worry about fuel. I'm not pulling anyones chain. Just stating my own opinion.
                          Ken/Sooke
                          78E Ratbyk
                          82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

That's odd. I found just the opposite with the 79sf I got vs the 80g I've been riding. The special is lower and the weight feels far more controllable. I feel being closer to the bars is better for me. Overall I think my Special is easier to handle than the standard.

Ben

Formerly:
                            1982 XS650
                            1980 XS1100g
                            1979 XS1100sf
                            1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Question for you guys with (or had) both. I have a '79 Special and am looking for a more comfortable seat. Will the seats interchange between models? J C Whitney has a dual "touring" seat kit the list for a '80-81 xs1100. Any one have any experience with one of these? Other suggetstions?

Thanks,
                              Bill
                              '79 Special (now the son's)
                              '00 Roadstar
                              '01 Marauder 800 (SWMBO)

Comment

Working...
                              X