Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks

Are the back shocks servicable?
    I am wanting to take mine apart to do a bit of powdercoating and was wondering if the springs can be taken off?
    81 XS11

You can't service/rebuild the actual shock itself meaning change the fluid and seals, but the springs and hardware can be removed, a spring compressor makes it much easier, you may be able to muscle it without one though. Set the preload to the softest setting, push down on the top collar and remove the keeper.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 07-23-2020, 08:59 AM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

other choices

Howdy Leggman,,,,,there are a lot of choices to replace the old factory shocks if you desire. DO a search in the search for shocks and there are numerous threads of alternatives, that are cheaper and better than the stock ones. For the masses, the Honda shadow shocks, Xj1100 air shocks, harley air shocks, and others are far superior to the factory xs shocks,,,,usually around 40.00 a set on ebay. I have switched to the xj`1100 maxim air shocks on both xs1100's and are a huge comfort step up. Maybe contact Bonz as he has a lot of info on the honda showa shocks,,,,,lots available. SO, unless you want to spend more money for stock parts and time rebuilding,,,,get the Showa's or the Harley, or the scarce xj1100 maxim shocks. You will be pleasantly surprised. Most shocks from 12.5 to 13 inches will work................ride on ,,,,Mike in Sunny DIego
      mike
      1982 xj1100 maxim
      1981 venture bagger
      1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
      1959 wife

Comment

Thanks Mike, I talked to my customer and she picked a set on ebay.
        81 XS11

Comment

Originally posted by soccer4m View Post
          Howdy Leggman,,,,,there are a lot of choices to replace the old factory shocks if you desire. DO a search in the search for shocks and there are numerous threads of alternatives, that are cheaper and better than the stock ones. For the masses, the Honda shadow shocks, Xj1100 air shocks, harley air shocks, and others are far superior to the factory xs shocks,,,,usually around 40.00 a set on ebay. I have switched to the xj`1100 maxim air shocks on both xs1100's and are a huge comfort step up. Maybe contact Bonz as he has a lot of info on the honda showa shocks,,,,,lots available. SO, unless you want to spend more money for stock parts and time rebuilding,,,,get the Showa's or the Harley, or the scarce xj1100 maxim shocks. You will be pleasantly surprised. Most shocks from 12.5 to 13 inches will work................ride on ,,,,Mike in Sunny DIego
          FWIW Mike, the rear KYB shocks on the Venturer model ONLY had a bit larger in diameter of the spring coils themself than the other XS1100's of all previous year models. I would imagine Yamaha chose to do this with the Venturer model as it was the only year model that was FACTORY produced as a long distance touring model capable of carrying heavy payloads along with rider and passenger.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Yes, Showa shocks from a Honda Shadow (1100 I believe) are perfect. Thread in this XS11/XJ11 section titled “Showa shocks are great”.
            Last edited by Bonz; 07-26-2020, 07:06 PM.
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
            X