30 Miles on 2 Cyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 Miles on 2 Cyl

This past weekend I was on a ride with a couple other people in the northwoods of Minnesota. We had stopped for a short break along the road. Fired the bike back up and a mile or two down the road it felt like I was running on 3 cylinders. I didn't really want to stop right there, we were 30-40 miles from the nearest town. I could maintain 55-60 mph so I just kept going. Got to the next stop sign and the bike quit. Well I guess its time to take a look at things. I quick touch #1 pipe. Cold. Okay bad plug or float stuck or something. Just out of curiousity I check #2, also cold. What! I rode 30 miles on 2 Cylinders? Because those two were cold I figured pretty much it had to something in fuel delivery. It was. A vacuum line to the petcocks had popped off. I guess if I had switched the petcock to prime while riding it should have fired those cylinders up. I'll know that next time.

My question is, does running the engine while not firing all cylinders cause any sort of problems? Once I put the line back on and primed the carbs it ran fine another 200 miles back home. Just curious. I wouldn't think it would since it still is getting lubrication. ???????????
    Kevin
    '79 XS1100 w/ Sidecar "SOLD"
    [URL=http://webpages.charter.net/kbhahn/sidecar1.html]My Webpage[/URL]

Some oil would be slipping by the cyl. walls, some air going thru the vacuum hose, but since they were not running not a problem, but for the 200 miles home, at least one cyl. ran lean. Pop the hose back.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

THe hose was popped back on right when I found out the problem. I guess the slight smoke from the tailpipe on startup after the 30 miles on 2 was the small amount of oil the seeped past the rings.
      Kevin
      '79 XS1100 w/ Sidecar "SOLD"
      [URL=http://webpages.charter.net/kbhahn/sidecar1.html]My Webpage[/URL]

Comment

Working...
      X