Rear M/C rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear M/C rebuild

Last fall I had rebuilt all three brake calipers and rear M/C on my 79F. I replaced the front M/C with a new one. Then life got in the way and I did not get to install everything until recently. The front went fine but when I went to install the rear I wasn't able to get brake fluid through the M/C. So after several frustrating attempts I tore the M/C back down and found the "grease" they (Brake Crafters) give you for reassembly had solidified inside the plunger area and was stopping it up. Since its been quite a while and I cannot find any specific instructions or a thread addressing this I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. The specific question is.......there are two rubber plungers. One is slightly larger. Which one goes on the end and which in the middle? When I took it back a part I didn't notice the size and when I reassembled it, it leaked. I believe the "open" end of both face inward? I also suppose I may have gotten the wrong kit or possibly defective? Thanks in advance for any guidance
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1979 XS1100 F
    1982 XJ 650
    1983 XS 650

The fatter ring goes in the middle of the plunger with the cupped side facing towards the fluid. The narrow ring goes on the end same direction, with the thin washer behind it and the pointy spring seat on the end.

The most common M/C bore size is 1/2", it should be stamped on the M/C. There is another size not sure what it is though, maybe 14mm?
    Last edited by bikerphil; 07-18-2020, 09:58 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

2H7 (79)
      3H3

Comment

Thanks Bikerphil. That’s kinda what I thought. I just wanted to verify so hopefully I won’t have to break it down again. I’ll let you know how it goes.
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1979 XS1100 F
        1982 XJ 650
        1983 XS 650

Comment

Yep, you're welcome. Good luck.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

Working...
          X