Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kick start on 80

Can you put a kick start on 80g model

Yes, but why? The internal parts are missing from the '80 and the cover has no boss to protect from wear if you use it regularly.
    The answer is, YES, you can.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Kick Start - Yes.

halfbreed,
      Yes. You can add a kickstart to any of the XS11's that didn't come with them.

Finding some of the needed gears & etc. can be difficult. I just sold my last spare set-up to a guy of FB so I can't help.

The '79 motors are the last to have the full set-up. I have found that a FEW of the needed components are found within the '80 motors. None of the needed components are found within the '81's.

Keep in mind, the kickstart installed on the earlier motors was intended for emergency use only NOT for daily use. The side cover does not include a bushing for the kicker shaft and eventually the cover will be damaged by continual use.

Also, the ONLY kicker lever I have found that will actually work is the one piece kicker normally stored under the battery of the '78 & '79. NONE of the folding kickers reach out far enough to clear the brake lever mount or the OEM exhaust.

Some on FB profess that the XS750 kicker will work. It will NOT. I have the kicker assy. installed in the motors of all four of my XS11's. The folding XS70/850 kicker will NOT clear the brake lever. It just doesn't reach out far enough. I have them mounted for "Looks" only and will remove them and use the stored kicker if/when needed.

Personally, I like having the option to kick the bike in an emergency (bad starter, starter clutch failure). If your plan is to install one for that purpose.... GO FOR IT!

However, if your plan is to use a kicker on an XS11 for permanent daily use (sometime people try this to avoid fixing the internal starter clutch) this is a bad idea that is absolutely not a good choice.

KURT
      Kurt Boehringer
      Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
      1978 - SR500 - Thumper
      1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
      1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
      1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
      1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
      1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
      1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
      1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
      1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
      2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

The folding chrome kicker from an XS850 and a plain steel XS750 have both worked fine on my '80G Standard and my '82 XJ11.

I have not tried it on any year/model XS11 Special so it may not work.

The kicker folds in out of the way next to the airbox after use but the large pin head for the swivel does contact the top of the triangular aluminum passenger footpeg bracket at full extension during the downkick and it's made a small notch.

Until recently because it's sat for a while my XJ always started with one or two kicks cold. Every. Time.

I don't remember the part number for the oil seal but the hole in the aluminum clutch cover is fine and there is no weird-ASCII wear where the kicker ratchet and splines go through the cover.

There are zero number of oil leaks.
        -- Scott
        _____
        ♬
        2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
        ♬

Comment

Because kick start.

Kick starting my XJ1100

https://youtu.be/POW47gpqWyE
          -- Scott
          _____
          ♬
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
          ♬

Comment

Scotts one kick is the real deal

I have seen it in person,,,,,Scott's kickstart xs1100s, xj1100 do have the kickstarts he put in and it is so cool old school to see him kick them over so easy,,,,,,and no kick back to blast your leg like some old bikes did on misfire, especially old big dirt bikes. SO,,,,its the real deal for those so inclined to put in the kicker in the beast 1100. Ride On,,,,Mike in SUn Diego
            mike
            1982 xj1100 maxim
            1981 venture bagger
            1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
            1959 wife

Comment

Just a reminder to those wanting to kick start. The battery MUST be fully charged and deliver a minimum of 10.5 volts to the ignition black box or the bike will not start. No matter how many times you kick or curse it

Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

10.5V is not too bad and it's eminently kickable since the electrical starter will pretty much flatline the electrical system the instant you press the Start button.

I haven't measured the exact minimum voltage required for the TCI before it refuses to work but 12V is considered a dead battery.
                -- Scott
                _____
                ♬
                ♬

Comment

Chose up photo?

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                  Because kick start.
                  Scott,
                  Can you post a close photo of how you mounted that kicker? I have XS850 kickers on all my XS11 "SPECIALS" and they will not clear the brake lever. (I do not own an XJ11 or Standard 11). I would have suspected the XJ would be the same.... apparently not.

If I push the kicker way out on the edge of the post it would likely clear.

I have kicked my specials, with the non-folding stored kicker, and it was very much as easy as your video demonstration.

KURT
                  Kurt Boehringer
                  Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                  1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                  1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                  1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                  1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                  1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                  1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                  1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                  1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                  1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                  1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                  1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                  2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Click the image for full size.

The kicker clears the brake lever but
                    I did have to drill/grind the splines on the kicker shaft for the bolt to fit into the clamp.

The swivel pin head touches and marks the aluminum bracket
                    but does not actually touch the brake lever at full extension.

YouTube: XJ1100 Kicker Motion

https://youtu.be/NbwNHLZPUFU

I also had to add the internal kicker PARTS when I rebuilt the XJ engine and had the cases split.
                    -- Scott
                    _____
                    ♬
                    ♬

Comment

soccer4m, check your P.M. if you get a chance. Thanks, motoman.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Has anyone got pic's of a kickstart been stored under the battery?

Comment

I take it that's a no then?

Comment

Originally posted by ardvark1 View Post
                            Here's a picture of the standard kickstart and the mounting bracket, if that helps and is what you were looking for.

Bob's Bikes:
                            79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                            https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                            https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                            "
                            Project XS11"
                            "Rucksack Grunt"
                            "Small Unit Leadership"
                            "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                            For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ardvark1 View Post
                              Hi ardvark,
                              Since photobucket died I and many others have not been able to post pictures. I think only 78 & 79 had the emergency kick start. The 80 did not come with the lever so perhaps does not have the triangular shaped "tube" it lives in. If you look at the close up pictures posted by 3Phase you can see the rectangular "tube" the anti theft chain lives in.

Phil
                              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                              X