Centerstand Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centerstand Trouble

The centerstand on my 81xs1100 has been getting harder and harder to use, to the point where I can no longer get the bike up on it, despite the fact that I am not getting any lighter. Inspecting the centerstand, it seems to move freely, pivot points are greased, so any ideas why it's not cooperating?
    81 xs1100LH
    75 Norton Commando

Ideas?

Brakes are not sticking?

Tire pressure is normal?

Incline is different?

Rear shocks/springs are shorter?
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Check the welds where the centerstand brackets are attached to the frame.

If the welds crack and break then the centerstand isn't centered any more and eventually one of the brackets will break off.

The bike will probably get away from you and fall over, mine fell on me so check the welds and try to make sure that doesn't happen.
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Yes, what 3phase said...

The centerstand bracket welds on my 81 were cracked before I got the bike, so I don't know when or what caused that to happen. I've read that sitting on the bike while rocking it off of the centerstand may cause too much pressure and slam the centerstand upwards against the frame, (which I am guilty of) and I've also read that trailering a bike while it is on the centerstand (bad idea) will cause the welds to crack. On my 81, the right bracket was actually pushed up into the frame tubing and had to be pulled back down and straightened before re-welded. Not an easy fix, but a necessary one if you want to continue using the stand. I ended up flipping the whole bike upside down to make the repair.
        Bob's Bikes:
        79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
        https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
        https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
        "
        Project XS11"
        "Rucksack Grunt"
        "Small Unit Leadership"
        "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
        For Sale Here.

Comment

I noticed a lot of things that used to be easy got harder when I stopped going to the gym. Picking up a guitar amp, picking up my kids, using the center stand... Is it lunch time yet?
          78 E

Comment

My center stand has always been hard to get on or off. I replaced the stand but it is still difficult. Must be my old age.

Bill
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by BowlingSS View Post
              My center stand has always been hard to get on or off. I replaced the stand but it is still difficult. Must be my old age.

Bill
              Hi Bill,
              Even with good technique it requires some strength to get on the centre stand. Especially the Venturer with all the luggage. I can not do mine on my own. So yes age is a factor.
              Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I am 78 and have a heart condition. I can't get my 78 on the center stand
                either. I had a piece of 2x8x20" i mitered the ends 45 degrees. roll the bike
                on it the extra 1 1/2" gives me what i need to put on the centerstand. Put a handle on the side to carry.
                fly

Comment

Hi folks, here is a link to a thread that may help ;

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...+stand+rebuild

Check out post #19 HTH
                  1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                  1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                  1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                  1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                  1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Working...
                  X