Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread Size for Oil Filter Bolt

Hey ,
    Back again for some advice! Does anyone know the specs on the Oil filter bolt?

I want to clean up the threads when I get it out, so I want to get a thread chaser. I need the size and pitch of the bolt if you know it.

Hope somebody knows this TIA
    Joe v '78e standard
    78 E

Pretty sure it's 19x1.5
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Or it's M20x1.5
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks Phil! I'll try to get them both. Joe
        78 E

Comment

FWIW, i just measured a spare oil cover bolt with calipers.
          19.83 mm diameter across so guessing the 20mm thread chaser should be the one.

For grins took a couple bolts with 1.25 threads and those didn't fit the oil bolt pitch.

So best guess for the thread chaser is 20mm / 1.5 pitch course thread as phil stated.

Good Luck getting oil bolt / cover issue resolved for future EZ oil filter changes.
          Keep us posted when you get around to getting that oil bolt out (preferably in the fall so can enjoy riding this summer)

Jeff
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Thanks Jeff,you saved me some $$$$.I'll just go with the 20X1.5. Joe v
            78 E

Comment

I'll keep you all in the loop when I do tackle that bolt(In the fall IS the plan) Also I did purchase a vMax spin -on adapter and I'll report on it's suitability as well. You folks here ALWAYS get me out of my jams. Thank all of you!!!!!!!
              78 E

Comment

Joe V

I know that it was suggested in your previous thread about knackered bolt to utilize a thread chaser. Truth is that the bolt is seized because of the fact the bolt is made of steel and the case is made of aluminum. Over time those two metals seize. There is probably nothing wrong with the threads as you will discover when you get the bolt out. Those bolts have quite a large thread pitch and as large as it is you can clean the threads with some wd40 and a small brass wire brush. Of course if you do find damage a thread chaser is not going to repair it. A die will. Again I don't think that is your problem. I would also advise that you tackle this problem now. It is really not that big of a deal and you are going to destroy the existing bolt removing it anyway. If you ride you will want to change the oil more then once this riding season. These bikes prefer fresh oil every 1000 miles or so. Your call. I just wouldn't spend money on items until I knew for sure I need them.
                2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                81 LH
                02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                Jim

Comment

correction

every 2500 miles and change the oil filter every other oil change. That is what the manual calls for. I said 1000 miles because that is how often I change mine because generally 6 months goes by before the 2500 miles.
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  Jim

Comment

Hey Cajun!

I'll probably run it 1000 or 1500 miles then get in to it. Thanks for the help, man! ride safe! Joe v
                    78 E

Comment

Hopefully

I helped. By the way... not trying to scare you but the first time this happened to me many moons back I ended up having to destroy the entire oil filter apparatus to get the bolt out. Yeah … bad scene. Fortunately before doing that I had picked one up off of Ebay. Even with all that I still did no damage to the bolt housing on the bottom of the engine. So my final suggestion would be to pick up spares for both the oil filter housing and bolt before attempting removal. Of course I can't overemphasize the anti seize paste when reinstalling. Good luck brother and ride safe.
                      81 LH
                      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                      Jim

Comment

Working...
                      X