fuel leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel leaking

HI , I am new to the site but i have been reading in for a while off and on, I have an 82 XJ1100 that has been leaking fuel also, found that the bowls of the carbs had enough rust in the bottom to stick the float in place, I have ordered a pet cock kit and we are going to rebuild the carbs but I have not been able ot find a kit for the carbs, Has anyone tried a stage 1 or stage 3 kit for the carbs, the bike runs strong and idles well but i need to do somehting.
    DN

Contaminated Fuel System

If the bike runs strong and idles well strongly suggest that you "DO NOT CHANGE JETTING"! Definitely clean the carbs, blow everything out etc. Set float at 25mm. Suggest also you read all of the service tips on carburetors and fuel systems on this site. There is some good common sense info.
    Get the tank cleaned out and make sure you install in-line filters in the system before putting it all back together with new fuel.
    If you have had a flooding problem make sure that you do not have fuel contaminated oil in the crankcase. Could lead to bearing failure and a junked engine.
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

fuel leak

Thanks, I have been looking for a kit for the carbs but can not seem to find one is the reason i was looking into the stage one kit any ways, I am going to take them off again this weekend and clean them out good, I am thinking of relining the tank but either way I will put inline filters below both petcock valves, I am going to try to order PC valve kits tonight. I have to get this beast ready for the annula sturgis trip next month so I want to get it done so i can road test a little before the round trip hits.
      DN

Comment

If all you need is some float needle and seats, try motorcyclecarbs.com. He specializes in old Jap carbs.

Comment

leaking carbs

thanks. i will try them. i am hoping it is just rust build up in the bowls, the carbs have never been touched since new, I got the bike from the original owner with only 6 k on it 2 years ago.
          DN

Comment

Working...
          X