Parts Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts Question

well i recieved a 1982 xj11 maxim engine from a relative, that has been stored for quite some time, he thinks that he might have all the electrical for it to get the engine in running condition, oh i forgot to mention, the engine isn't obvisouly in the bike and actually it is being put into a custom framed golf cart, basically the only thing left will be in a golf cart body, anyways can anybody hell me in finding or telling me what i need just to make the engine rnnable and the charging system usable... i know its a hard question but i'm sure someone will be able to help....

moderators if this is in the worng spot, i'm sorry i couldn't choose were to put it, thanks for putting togehter a very resoucreful site!

thanks to all
    ------------------------------------
    Current Projects:
    -1982-1992 Yamaha Ezgo XJ1100 Maxim Project

Re: Parts Question

You don't have to go to all of that trouble just to get golf cart "yamaha" emblems! (kidding) You know, it would be difficult not to tear-up the fairways with a cart like that.

Originally posted by xj11yamaha
    well i recieved a 1982 xj11 maxim engine from a relative, that has been stored for quite some time, he thinks that he might have all the electrical for it to get the engine in running condition, oh i forgot to mention, the engine isn't obvisouly in the bike and actually it is being put into a custom framed golf cart, basically the only thing left will be in a golf cart body, anyways can anybody hell me in finding or telling me what i need just to make the engine rnnable and the charging system usable... i know its a hard question but i'm sure someone will be able to help....

moderators if this is in the worng spot, i'm sorry i couldn't choose were to put it, thanks for putting togehter a very resoucreful site!

thanks to all
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Re: Parts Question

All the parts you need turn up regularly on eBay but I'd be worried about cooling with that engine in a golf cart unless the engine is right up front in the airstream. I'd think you'd be better off with a water cooled engine.

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

golf cart

If i was doing that i would like to have a complete wiring harness,(well really the whole bike) for the coils realys and such.Also for lights if you wanted them etc.Or you might need to be a good electrician.Anything is possible.Your going to need starter selinoid battery,wire to juice the coils etc.etc.(if interested i have many of the above parts,complete wire harn.many of the realys,starter selinoid ,and coils,all from xj1100).geezer brings up a good point,but that to can be overcome.electric cooling fans from small car air dams (like a hood scoop type set up for example) oil cooler,like stated anything is possible.
        Last edited by chevy45412001; 06-30-2004, 11:27 AM.
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

You might want to check out buggiesunlimited.com They have a golf cart forum & a some of those guys have built em with alternative power sources. The wildest being a 45 horse snowmobile engine equiped one (fan cooled) that does burnouts & pulls wheelies. A more common (and sane) alternative is the 2cyl Briggs Vangard engine. Good luck & be careful with that thing.
          Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"
          2000 Heritage "Snow White"

Comment

well the golf cart won't be golf course driven, but my plan for cooling will be to install 2 12Volt automotive coooling fans with thermostats and a fresh air scoop system to keep the air coming in while were driving.... if someone wou.ld make a list of the minimum required item to make the engine run, in list form.....

i know i'll need the following....

- coils w/ wires
            - CDI box
            - Regualtor/Rectifer
            - Starter Solenoid
            - Battery
            - i think thats all

- i know quite a lot about electrical system etc. but haven't gotten a chance to tear one of these bike electrical system apart

also can i run the engine without the muffler itself, just the header pipes

oh well i am only starting to clean the engine up anybody have any suggestions on howq to clean the exterior of the motorand tranny withotu pressure washing or acid dipping
            Current Projects:

Comment

well the golf cart won't be golf course driven, but my plan for cooling will be to install 2 12Volt automotive coooling fans with thermostats and a fresh air scoop system to keep the air coming in while were driving.... if someone wou.ld make a list of the minimum required item to make the engine run, in list form.....
              One thing you'll run into fast is the XS11 charging system won't power those fans for long. You're going to need a car alternator and I still think the engine isn't going to cool properly. I'd still recommend a water cooled engine for a project like that.

Geezer

Comment

cooling and parts

well i've put much thought into this project and well i talked to the guy i got the engine from, he's a engineer, and a good one at that, he has built three dune buggys and was working on building a street/strip 383 V8 Cuda... he works on the large boats overseeing and fixing the issues that come up, but anywyas i asked him what he thought and if the engine would stay cool enough if we added two small automotive fans and scoops, i also asked about an oil cooler... he told me that the fans would be sufficent and an oil cooler wouldn't be needed but would be a good addition to keeping it cool. we are probably going to use a larger style battery than a motorcycle battery because a battery with larger CCA and CA wont damage the starter system and the charging system from what iv'e tested will be very able to handle it. oh i was wondering chevy45412001 what parts would you be willing to give up at low cost, i on a TIGHT Budget but i'm reasonable and wouldn't want to rip anyone off, thats the last thing i'd want to do..... if you could let me know that would be great.... thanks to all for your help! but keep those tips and comments coming in, oh i forgot to mention what color do you guys think i should paint it, ive been thinking yamaha blue, red, metallic black, or MAYBE yellow. those are the colors i really like for this project, i am leaning towards red or blue as those alwyas look good!

Thanks again this site and everyon on it are GREAT!
                - JR
                Current Projects:

Comment

running

A shematics diagram would be nice eXspecialy if your going to rig the cdi box.As far as running without muffs ,go for it just make sure the eXhaust pipes are a decent length.C'mon Geezer give the guy a break,he already has the xj motor,let him play...lol (nothing personal just givin ya a raz).

List form
                  1) you bout got it
                  2) have digit cam ready for pics of wheelies
                  3) post pics of wheelies on this site
                  4)DON'T post pics of your drawers after pullin wheelies
                  5)Have a blast and keep us posted
                  1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Re: cooling and parts

well i've put much thought into this project and well i talked to the guy i got the engine from, he's a engineer, and a good one at that, he has built three dune buggys and was working on building a street/strip 383 V8 Cuda... he works on the large boats overseeing and fixing the issues that come up, but anywyas i asked him what he thought and if the engine would stay cool enough if we added two small automotive fans and scoops, i also asked about an oil cooler... he told me that the fans would be sufficent and an oil cooler wouldn't be needed but would be a good addition to keeping it cool.
                    It sounds like you've put lots of thought into it. I'd go with the oil cooler anyway and a big one too. Also you could put a Chevy alternator on it and solve the electrical problems.

Geezer

Comment

i love this site

thanks for the laughs! i really enjoy coming on thsi site jsut to chat.... got the digital camera dont know if where going to try to do wheelies though! well now that i think of it, just kidding yeah i think i will run the oil cooler and mount it where it will get PLENTY of air flow, does anyone know where i could get a Service Manual in PDF or Some Computer Format or amaybe a wiring diagram in a printable format .... thanks again
                      Current Projects:

Comment

cd rom

Theres a guy on this site that has cd's with a wealth of info on our bikes,XS-XJ's. I believe it has schematics on the xj also (some one with first hand knowledge might chime in). Also I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST AN OIL COOLER theese bikes are marginal on oil cooling at best in a frame of a bike. I'll pm you on the parts
                        1982 XJ 1100

Comment

XS-XJ CD

For a copy of the CD go to members at the top of this page. Scroll through until you find "rockjok". Email him from there.The cost is, $10.00 which he donates to the local animal shelter.
                          Ken/Sooke

Comment

thanks for the help to all of you! what color do you think i should paint the golf cart though?
                            Current Projects:

Comment

Paint

Macho Maroon with Gold Pin Stripes! Or camouflage so it can hide in wait for the unsuspecting.
                              Ken/Sooke

Comment

Working...
                              X