Seats/seat pans...1981 Special vs. 1979H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seats/seat pans...1981 Special vs. 1979H

Does anyone know, without a doubt (I wouldn't want to bid on something that won't work) if a seat from an '81 XS1100 Special will fit a '79 SX1100 H? The H is the Standard with touring package i.e. faring, hard bags, and trunk w/backrest.
    If it won't go, force it. If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Re: Seats/seat pans...1981 Special vs. 1979H

Originally posted by Deano62
    Does anyone know, without a doubt (I wouldn't want to bid on something that won't work) if a seat from an '81 XS1100 Special will fit a '79 SX1100 H? The H is the Standard with touring package i.e. faring, hard bags, and trunk w/backrest.
    Yes I know it won't fit. ;o) If you have a good seat pan, why don't you recover it?

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

It comes close, and you could make it fit, but as is it is just a little off. Back of the Special seat hits the black box on the Standard and the bolt slots are angled wrong.
      Marty in NW PA
      Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
      Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
      This IS my happy face.

Comment

I am tinkering with a seat from a '78e to go on a '79sf. If I move the black box to just above the battery, the seat works. Some spacers would have to be put between the seat and the fender/frame, since there is space between.

Ben
        1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
        1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
        1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
        1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
        1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
        1982 XS650
        1980 XS1100g
        1979 XS1100sf
        1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Originally posted by ae7f
          I am tinkering with a seat from a '78e to go on a '79sf. If I move the black box to just above the battery, the seat works. Some spacers would have to be put between the seat and the fender/frame, since there is space between.

Ben
          I went the opsite way. I put a Standard rear fender on my special, extended the wires to the ignition box and reloacated it to the back so I could use a standard seat. The specal seat locks me in to far forward.

Geezer

Comment

Geezer

I have been trying to figure out how, or where, to relocate my black box so the I could lower the rear of my special seat. It gives me the same feeling. I have already raised the front end of the seat which has helps a lot.

Did you have to replace the entire fender or just the front plastic section?

Does anyone have a 79 standard rear fender and seat that they would like to sell?
            Last edited by Bob Falter; 06-30-2004, 06:04 PM.
            #1 ’79 XS11 Special
            #2 ’79 XS11 Special
            '97 V-Max
            '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

Bob, I have a rear fender/tail light from a 78 available. If you're interested, e mail me. xs11parts@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Falter
                Geezer

I have been trying to figure out how, or where, to relocate my black box so the I could lower the rear of my special seat. It gives me the same feeling. I have already raised the front end of the seat which has helps a lot.

Did you have to replace the entire fender or just the front plastic section?

Does anyone have a 79 standard rear fender and seat that they would like to sell?
                I used the whole fender assembly and tail light off of a 79 standard on the Mongrel. It's not a perfect fit but it's good enough.

The sad part is all the remaning holes in the frame don't line up to any off the shelf rack. I'm going to custom make something PDQ. I'm getting tired of packing stuff inside my leather jacket.

Geezer

Comment

Working...
                X