Getting my left and right straightened out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting my left and right straightened out

Hey, so I have a stupidly simple newbie question. I'm looking at the bike and I'm not sure which is considered the left or right. It wasn't super clear to me reading my Clymer manual which side it's referring to. (I'm removing the engine from the frame and I want to make sure I remove it from the side that people are properly recommending.)

Is it based on the perspective of the rider, where when you're sitting on the seat, left is left and right is right? Or, is it based on the perspective of looking at the bike from the front, where it's opposite of the rider's perspective?

Stupid question, but I'd appreciate the enlightenment.

Thanks everyone!
    SnarlingOhio
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Build In Progress)

Sitting on seat and facing forward your left/right is the same as the scooters left/right.
    1980 xs1100SG "Silent Killer"
    1948 HD FL "Thin Mint"
    1978 FLH 80 "Grumpy"
    1960 HD FLH Duo "Blue" (w/family in Sacramento)
    1986 Honda CMX 450 (51hp rat sleeper) SOLD

Comment

Hi SnarlingOhio,
      as seen from the rider sitting on the bike.
      Riders left side is Bikes left side.

You sure you have to take the engine out ? Take lots of pictures as there are many wires and "things" that will get removed and will need to be replaced in the correct place.

Get a friend to help as that is a heavy lump and 2 heads are better than one

Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Got it. That's exactly what I thought, but I wanted to be sure before trying to lift the engine out of the wrong side.

I wanted some experience restoring the bike and so I'm taking it down to the bones before building it back up again. Got everything well documented along the way. Thanks for your help and suggestions!
        SnarlingOhio
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Build In Progress)

Comment

Working...
        X