Shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motoman View Post
    Also, suggest removing shift cover and check alignment marks of shift pawl assembly with tranny in second gear.
    Another thing that seems like a good idea, Thanks, Done
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

lubing clutch cable

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      UD, mine shifts like butter.
      Another thing I forgot ?
      Lubing the clutch cable (along with adjustment) with Tri Flow or Super Lube is also a good idea (both contain PTFE) experience it, amazing what a free moving clutch cable will improve.
      I've not done anything yet temps are not cooperating .
      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
      80 XS650 G Special II
      80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

I've never understood this term 'false neutral' that people seem to use.

Does it not simply mean that you did a sloppy/lazy shift and missed the gear? Our fault, not the bikes fault.
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post

Does it not simply mean that you did a sloppy/lazy shift and missed the gear? Our fault, not the bikes fault.
          Hi Dean,
          Finding a false neutral describes the riders action not the bikes however some bikes have wear and adjustment issues that makes False Neutral easier to find. On Addie I find the transmission shifts much better with fresh oil and once it nears time for an oil change shifting gears becomes more difficult and false neutrals show up.

Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Neutral is between 1st and 2nd. We shift 1st to 2nd without stopping at neutral all the time. Get lazy and sometimes find neutral. This can also happen between 3rd and 4th (or was it 4th and 5th). There isn't supposed to be a neutral selection there, so we call it false. And yes, you are correct. We missed the gear.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Neutral is between 1st and 2nd. We shift 1st to 2nd without stopping at neutral all the time. Get lazy and sometimes find neutral. This can also happen between 3rd and 4th (or was it 4th and 5th). There isn't supposed to be a neutral selection there, so we call it false. And yes, you are correct. We missed the gear.
              What he said, exactly. For me, during normal riding, I get used to a certain amount of force and distance for each shift, and they all feel pretty much the same. During aggressive acceleration, however, I've found that I need to be firmer in the amount of force applied during the 3-4 shift, or the result of my inattention is a severe lack of forward velocity and higher engine rpm's than I care for my engine to endure without load. It does seem weird that so many other people have the same problem with the exact same gears, as I've never had this problem with any other upshift. Engineering flaw? Parts wear? Maybe, but in the end I'm still the one who's doing the shifting, and it falls on me to make sure each gear is positively engaged. My take on it, anyways.

Regards

-Jon-
              1981 XS1100LH MNS #103 ("Dark Side")
              Yamaha "Mini Cruiser" Windscreen, K & N filters, Iridium Plugs, ATK Fork Brace, LED T.S. Conversion, Bridgestone S11 Spitfires.
              Otherwise all original, definitely a Survivor.
              Previous:
              1981 XS850LH MNS (R.I.P. 1983), 1982 XJ650 SECA TURBO, 1983 XJ650 SECA TURBO
              Cage:
              2K2 TB

"Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak."

Comment

hey Dean..I had a few false neutrals on my '95 ST1100...every now and then..between 2nd and 3rd gears....stuff happens...
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Brain farts

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  Also, suggest removing shift cover and check alignment marks of shift pawl assembly with tranny in second gear.
                  I checked the shift pawl, star, pins (dowels) all seems like new and lined up, GREAT !

A couple problems;
                  Most of the shift cover gasket is stuck to the engine. How to get in those tight spots in order to get the old gasket off (seems like it's cemented on) ?
                  Do I make a half dozen or so scraper tools to get the gasket off in the tight spots ? ? ?

The other thing is the cover will no longer bolt snug to the engine.
                  I've done this before but the old brain is not remembering ? ? ?
                  76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                  80 XS650 G Special II
                  80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

I would use some foaming gasket remover to ease the scraping procedure. As for the cover not seating, check that that the shifter mechanism that passes through the cover is installed properly. You could try temporarily installing the cover without the shifter shaft to determine if that is the problem.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Gasket

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                      I would use some foaming gasket remover to ease the scraping procedure. As for the cover not seating, check that that the shifter mechanism that passes through the cover is installed properly. You could try temporarily installing the cover without the shifter shaft to determine if that is the problem.
                      In the past I tried some gasket remover, did nothing. May another brand be better, recommendations ? Still getting in those tight spots will be a treat/trick, think I'll need to make wood chisels ?

If I remember right the shifter can just be pulled out then just deal with the shifter return spring to get it back in right.
                      Might be that's why the cover is not seating, the spring, though it looks OK may be out of place ?
                      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                      80 XS650 G Special II
                      80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
                        In the past I tried some gasket remover, did nothing. May another brand be better, recommendations ? Still getting in those tight spots will be a treat/trick, think I'll need to make wood chisels ?
                        UD,
                        Try this Blue Point scraper. The Snap-On truck will have it.

Paint stripper may get the remaining gasket off.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

UD,
                          Try this Blue Point scraper. The Snap-On truck will have it.

Paint stripper may get the remaining gasket off.
                          Looks a bit thick in the handle where the blade is, maybe too thick to get into those tight spots ?
                          Knowing a little about snap-on prices that thing is prolly $30.
                          Taking off the exhaust on that side will help with one small area.
                          Heck, I'll take the entire exhaust off for cleaning, might as well.
                          76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                          80 XS650 G Special II
                          80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

You can use sand paper to remove the gasket, just don't be too aggressive. Try not to get any crap in the engine.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

As long as the residual gasket is thin, I would think that you could forget about depending on a new gasket to seal it. Instead use a bead of RTV Ultra black.
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                                As long as the residual gasket is thin, I would think that you could forget about depending on a new gasket to seal it. Instead use a bead of RTV Ultra black.
                                I have that on hand as well as the grey. I think the grey withstands higher temps, let me see here, both say oil resistant, the ultra black says maximum oil resistance (no temp mentioned), the mega grey says good for 650°F .
                                So now is it 650°F or max oil resistance that I want.
                                No way the engine gets to 650°F but the exhaust pipe runs within an inch of the bottom of the shifter cover.
                                76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                                80 XS650 G Special II
                                80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Working...
                                X