No announcement yet.

Victim of the K&L Curse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know how this got bumped up as a new post when Randy, Now DAVINCI, posted it back in 2004.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Someone voted on the poll.
      Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
      Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
      Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
      Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
      Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
      K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
      81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        I don't know how this got bumped up as a new post when Randy, Now DAVINCI, posted it back in 2004.
        Maybe if some of the newbies(and a couple oldies read it, they'll finially get the idea that Genuine Mikunis is the ONLY way one of these scoots is gonna cooperate running correctly thru ALL the rpm ranges. That way, you, me and a couple others don't feel like an echo falling on deaf ears continiously.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Maybe if some of the newbies(and a couple oldies read it, they'll finially get the idea that Genuine Mikunis is the ONLY way one of these scoots is gonna cooperate running correctly thru ALL the rpm ranges. That way, you, me and a couple others don't feel like an echo falling on deaf ears continiously.
          That's never ending moto. More like a ringing.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            That's never ending moto. More like a ringing.
            .......yup, and sumptin' bout the sun risin'...........works for me.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I voted No got lucky I guess, then realized it could be taken 2 different ways haha. I meant, no I got lucky because my bike had genuine Mikuni parts and not, no I got lucky with K&L.
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I'll add some "newbie" input... I got kits from Parts N More last fall when refurbing the 80G. I assume they use K&L sourced kits... If not, I stand corrected in advance.

The diaphragms would not seal correctly. I discovered the o-rings on the tip of the diaphragm posts were fractionally small in diameter. I replaced both diaphragm o-rings with ones from the Harbor Freight viton assortment and it sealed right up.

I guess K&L didn't get out of the business as speculated back in 2004.

Would it be fair/accurate to say that K&L makes all the parts, and they sell the parts to other places to make differnt branded kits? I.E. other than OEM, K&L would be making all parts we would get our hands on through whatever source we are using?
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I replace my metal tip float needles with the K&L's every couple years, no problems with them, fine product...

2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                    I replace my metal tip float needles with the K&L's every couple years, no problems with them, fine product...

IMO, K&L would have to try pretty hard to screw those up. Did find one 'flaw' though. The top-side of the float hanger is open ended. In other words, it is not a continious piece like on the Mikuni float needles. I can see where it could get caught on the float tang. I resolved that by using the float hangers off of the original float needles. Maybe that wire being a continious one piece on the Mikuni float needles contributes to the higher cost?

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      IMO, K&L would have to try pretty hard to screw those up. Did find one 'flaw' though. The top-side of the float hanger is open ended. In other words, it is not a continious piece like on the Mikuni float needles. I can see where it could get caught on the float tang. I resolved that by using the float hangers off of the original float needles. Maybe that wire being a continious one piece on the Mikuni float needles contributes to the higher cost?
                      The early type carb needles don't use that clip, only the late viton tip have that. Brant, you probably know this but others may not know.
                      Last edited by bikerphil; 07-02-2013, 04:55 PM.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I fixed up a 79 GS1000 Suzuki. The needles were original and leaking. After researching I learned the Keyster and K&L needles had insufficient spring tension. I had the owner of the GS buy genuine Mikuni/Suzuki needle and seat assemblies. $33 each x 4! The carbs do not leak now and should last a long time.

Comment

I've had my carburetors on and off more times than I'd like to admit over the last couple of years. Due to the advice I found here, I went directly to the use of genuine Mikuni parts where required. For those of you doing the preaching, it did not fall on deaf ears. My bike runs great!
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

I am not against buying the Mikuni parts, certainly nothing wrong with them. I have used the K&L kits on several banks of carbs that all run fine. So those are also good parts to use. Matter of choice, and as usual, experiences vary.

My only issue with the folks saying your bike will run like crap on anything but Genuine Mikuni parts is that it has proven untrue for me on multiple bikes, multiple sets of carbs. Either I am REALLY GOOD at tuning (not true) or the K&L jets work.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Running "fine" is a relative term.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by ba80 View Post
                                running "fine" is a relative term.
                                +1...........

Comment

Working...
                                X