Left Side Cover Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left Side Cover Oil Leak

I'm working on an '82 XJ1100; I've got an oil leak coming from a cover on the left side the crankcase. This cover is forward of the starter motor cover. Question: Does anyone know the name of this forward cover or it's purpose.

Here's my problem; How do you remove this cover? It's stuck!!! The cover has three allen bolts. I've remove these bolts. I then reviewed the crankcase schematic. I see two o-rings on this cover sealing the crankcase. What's holding this cover; it won't slide out of the crankcase. I look forward to a response because I need help. Thanks.
    '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
    Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
    '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
    Stan Hutchison

are you asking about one of the bearing housings?
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

I don't think it's a bearing housing cover, but it might. When you look at the left side of the motorcycle, It's a cover plate left of starter motor cover. It's actually touching the starter motor cover. I have pictures but I don't know how to post or paste them. My bad.
      Stan Hutchison

Comment

That cover is a tight fit and must be carefully pried off from both sides simultaneously. It will remove much easier with the starter removed. Yes it is a bearing housing.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Woohoo, That's the answer I was expecting. You're right, It's a tight fit; as in a VERY tight fit. Yes, I've removed the starter, which must be done since the starter motor cover has an overlapping lip. Unfortunately I've broken off the top right edge of bearing cover. Luckily, the main shaft, that's stuck inside the crankcase, is still intact.

I'll need to design a "puller" to get this bearing cover off.

Your response has given me the confidence to get physical. Thanks

For the record, It is an awesome oil leak. Thanks guys for responding quickly. And I hope this thread will help the next amateur XS11 mechanic. I love this group.
          Stan Hutchison

Comment

So, do you need a new cover now or will the broken one still function?
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

Easy and Cheap to Replace

I broke the same part on my SF when I removed it to polish it.

Fortunately, they are all over eBay, and I bought another one for $5.00 (including bearing) and polished it instead.

I removed and polished the one on my SG too, but I didn't break it getting it off.
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

It is an awesome oil leak
                Oh well, there goes the free rustproofing. You may have helped me solve an oil leak on a friends XJ, it is collecting in that channel just in front of that cover. I forgot about those O rings in that cap.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

Woohoo, I successfully removed the bearing housing from the crankcase.

Mr. BIKERPHIL, you're response to my problem was a blessing. For those reading this post, I used two small 6" craftsman screwdrivers and a light hammer. By working the top left and bottom right half of the bearing housing, the screwdrivers acted as wedges and slowly backed out the housing.

I can still use the bearing cover. I'll either use JB Weld or have it heli-arc.

The O-rings were flat so that's the source of the oil leak.
                  Stan Hutchison

Comment

O Rings

These O Rings are still available at Partzilla.com.
                    1981 XS1100H Venturer
                    K&N Air Filter
                    ACCT
                    Custom Paint by Deitz
                    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                    Stebel Nautilus Horn
                    EBC Front Rotors
                    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Status Report: I bought ten O-Rings from a local supplier for $5. I bought two different sizes but I think you can use a 2mm x 61mm (width x ID.) for both housing grooves. The grooves are slightly different. I installed a 1.70mm x 61mm, ISO #-036 o-ring in the outside grove, the groove furthest from the crankcase, .

Partzilla does sell these o-rings for $4 each and then add their shipping charge. I repaired two XJ1100 and saved a few bucks.

I took Laverne, my XJ1100, out for a 5 miles ride, no visible oil leaks. Woohoo.

Thanks team for all your comments. Be safe. Stan H.
                      Stan Hutchison

Comment

Glad you got it sorted, I'm going to do this repair also, I bought the OEM o rings, 2 for $16, what a rip.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

Comment

Working...
                        X