airbox removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airbox removal

I'm in the final stages of restoration on my LH and from the very beginning, one side of the airbox has been less than desirable. So for purely cosmetic reasons and since I have not been able to find a replacement airbox anywhere for the LH, I've decided to swap the airbox from my LG. I'm hoping not to disturb the carbs because both bikes seem to be tuned perfectly and running very well. Is it possible to remove and swap the airboxes without removing the carbs?

Another question....

I stripped the clear coat off of one of the airboxes and it looks great, the underlying gold shines like new! However, I am concerned that the bare gold chrome will tarnish without the clearcoat protection. I can already see that it is more vulnerable to finger prints and such, but so far (which is only a week later) I have been able to wipe it clean and shiny again. Should I be concerned about long term or even near term tarnish that may occur?

Thanks!
    Bob's Bikes:
    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
    "
    Project XS11"
    "Rucksack Grunt"
    "Small Unit Leadership"
    "Jean's Heroic Journey"

Bob's Parts:
    For Sale Here.

Originally posted by Ranger_xs1100 View Post
    I'm in the final stages of restoration on my LH and from the very beginning, one side of the airbox has been less than desirable. So for purely cosmetic reasons and since I have not been able to find a replacement airbox anywhere for the LH, I've decided to swap the airbox from my LG. I'm hoping not to disturb the carbs because both bikes seem to be tuned perfectly and running very well. Is it possible to remove and swap the airboxes without removing the carbs?

Another question....

I stripped the clear coat off of one of the airboxes and it looks great, the underlying gold shines like new! However, I am concerned that the bare gold chrome will tarnish without the clearcoat protection. I can already see that it is more vulnerable to finger prints and such, but so far (which is only a week later) I have been able to wipe it clean and shiny again. Should I be concerned about long term or even near term tarnish that may occur?

Thanks!
    Answer to first question is YES. Second question, Since I live where there's little humidity(10-35%), not an issue. Your location, only you know what that rate would be as far as deteriation.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
    X