More Electrical Gremlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Electrical Gremlins

OK - fixed the last one on my 81 with dying suddenly. It was a loose connection coming out of the main fuse block.

Now two new ones have come up at about the same time but I don't think they are related.

First - when starting the bike, if it doesn't fire after the first try, I get nothing when I hit the starter a second time. Have to wait about 30 seconds and then it will crank again. If it doesn't then, another 30 seconds...etc.... Have a brand new battery and it cranks very strong, when it cranks. Now before, it would do this but only after 3 or 4 tries, and even then I would have to wait only about 5 seconds and it would crank again. Right now this is just an inconvenience, but obviously if this is going to get to the point where I have to wait.....for who knows how long...that would be a problem.

Second - the tach. Doesn't work on startup. After riding for about 10 minutes, it starts working and then keeps working the rest of the day. After sitting overnight however, it then repeats the problem. I'm assuming this is a moisture issue somewhere, but if anyone knows which connection this is likely to be that would be helpful.

As always, any input would be appreciated.
    81 xs1100LH
    75 Norton Commando

Originally posted by Spartanman View Post
    OK - fixed the last one on my 81 with dying suddenly. It was a loose connection coming out of the main fuse block.

Now two new ones have come up at about the same time but I don't think they are related.

First - when starting the bike, if it doesn't fire after the first try, I get nothing when I hit the starter a second time. Have to wait about 30 seconds and then it will crank again. If it doesn't then, another 30 seconds...etc.... Have a brand new battery and it cranks very strong, when it cranks. Now before, it would do this but only after 3 or 4 tries, and even then I would have to wait only about 5 seconds and it would crank again. Right now this is just an inconvenience, but obviously if this is going to get to the point where I have to wait.....for who knows how long...that would be a problem.

Second - the tach. Doesn't work on startup. After riding for about 10 minutes, it starts working and then keeps working the rest of the day. After sitting overnight however, it then repeats the problem. I'm assuming this is a moisture issue somewhere, but if anyone knows which connection this is likely to be that would be helpful.

As always, any input would be appreciated.
    If original fuse panel is still being used, it DEFINITELY needs to be changed over to the blade type fuse panel!....first order of electrical problem solving for these ole' bikes.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      If original fuse panel is still being used, it DEFINITELY needs to be changed over to the blade type fuse panel!....first order of electrical problem solving for these ole' bikes.
      Thanks - Is there a specific XS1100 fuse block that can be ordered?
      81 xs1100LH
      75 Norton Commando

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanman View Post
        Thanks - Is there a specific XS1100 fuse block that can be ordered?
        Yes,
        Len at XJ4Ever www.xj4ever.com is providing an XS1100 Fuse Box Kit. Has blade Fuse Box, Fuses, Wires and everything you need. It is a really slick Turn Key fix. It is all color coded too to match the original wire colors. Terminal connectors are already professionally assembled so that eliminates a problem point too.

My 78' XS1100 E with the new fuse box

note the Flasher Can is moved over to the left (battery side) of the bike and a patch cable is provided. The new fuse box mounts lower which provides much more room above & below the terminal connectors.

Rather than use the insulated butt connectors provided in the kit Kurt used uninsulated with heat shrink. But to answer your question, Yes here is an option for a real nice Turn Key Kit. Call Len if you are interested. My bike sure runs better after we installed it just last Friday.

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
          Yes,
          Len at XJ4Ever www.xj4ever.com is providing an XS1100 Fuse Box Kit. Has blade Fuse Box, Fuses, Wires and everything you need. It is a really slick Turn Key fix. It is all color coded too to match the original wire colors. Terminal connectors are already professionally assembled so that eliminates a problem point too.

My 78' XS1100 E with the new fuse box

note the Flasher Can is moved over to the left (battery side) of the bike and a patch cable is provided. The new fuse box mounts lower which provides much more room above & below the terminal connectors.

Rather than use the insulated butt connectors provided in the kit Kurt used uninsulated with heat shrink. But to answer your question, Yes here is an option for a real nice Turn Key Kit. Call Len if you are interested. My bike sure runs better after we installed it just last Friday.

Jeff
          Thanks for the info - that's a great website and has exactly what you described. However, can't order on line and there is no phone #. He says to "write" and let him know what you need. I hope that means e-mail as I sent him one last evening. Didn't get a response as of now. Does Len respond to e-mail or do I have to lick a stamp and send a letter? Any advice would be appreciated.
          81 xs1100LH
          75 Norton Commando

Comment

He uses email. So if you sent Len an email he will respond back via email.
            At the email address listed.

Normally 24 hours if not sooner.

Jeff
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

XJ4Ever.com is great. All parts are 1st quality. In my experience, no junk. He's not paying me to say this.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

That looks to be a pretty slick fuse box replacement.

Back when I got my first XS I found that cleaning every ground and connection I could find made all the difference. Starter problem could be a solenoid going bad.

Comment

Originally posted by mro View Post
                  That looks to be a pretty slick fuse box replacement.
                  Yes, a turn key replacement XS1100 Fuse Box Kit with about everything needed.

Relocating the flasher can to the airbox screw on the left side of the bike was EZ. That makes for a nice fuse box install with ample room for the wires and terminal connectors above and below the fuse box. Color coded wires too matching up with OEM wiring diagram. No more brittle 40 year old copper glass fuse holder tabs that snap off. BTDT, that's always fun when a tab decides to break off when you least want it to.

Jeff
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Yes, a turn key replacement XS1100 Fuse Box Kit with about everything needed.

Relocating the flasher can to the airbox screw on the left side of the bike was EZ. That makes for a nice fuse box install with ample room for the wires and terminal connectors above and below the fuse box. Color coded wires too matching up with OEM wiring diagram. No more brittle 40 year old copper glass fuse holder tabs that snap off. BTDT, that's always fun when a tab decides to break off when you least want it to.

Jeff
                    Oh yes Jeff, lots of fun and BTDT....once was enough after getting holder tab soldered back on, after which I switched to a blade type fuse panel.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      Oh yes Jeff, lots of fun and BTDT....once was enough after getting holder tab soldered back on, after which I switched to a blade type fuse panel.
                      Yes indeed. This new Fuse Box Kit resolves all those issues and horror stories. A turnkey kit. Well made too. Saves hours and hours of fighting problems and finding parts that may or may not work. Comes with Step-by-Step instructions too. So no broken off side cover tabs or the usual things we snap and break in a DIY job. Step #1 says Disconnect Battery. Best to keep the sparks in the sparky container. Job takes about 2 hours. A little more for folks that don't turn a wrench much.

Jeff
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Will also mention that new battery cables are often in order. OEM stuff eventually has corrosion build up between the wires and connectors and causes a voltage drop right at the battery. Bike will fire much better if ignition system has full voltage available!
                        Jerry Fields
                        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                        '06 Concours
                        My Galleries Page.
                        My Blog Page.
                        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Yes indeed. This new Fuse Box Kit resolves all those issues and horror stories. A turnkey kit. Well made too. Saves hours and hours of fighting problems and finding parts that may or may not work. Comes with Step-by-Step instructions too. So no broken off side cover tabs or the usual things we snap and break in a DIY job. Step #1 says Disconnect Battery. Best to keep the sparks in the sparky container. Job takes about 2 hours. A little more for folks that don't turn a wrench much.

Jeff
                          Just finished the install. Very slick kit and the instructions were literally idiot proof as I just proved. Thanks for the tip. That website has a lot of interesting stuff.
                          81 xs1100LH
                          75 Norton Commando

Comment

Working...
                          X