1980 XS1100 Remove Left-side cover...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 XS1100 Remove Left-side cover...

I feel very, very stupid. I cannot (readily) remove the left-side cover from my 1980 Yamaha XS1100. I know I can break the tab holding the !@#$% thing in place but that would break the cover. I want to replace the battery and need to remove this thing. Does anyone know how to do it? Thanks, Bill

Originally posted by WJambois View Post
    I feel very, very stupid. I cannot (readily) remove the left-side cover from my 1980 Yamaha XS1100. I know I can break the tab holding the !@#$% thing in place but that would break the cover. I want to replace the battery and need to remove this thing. Does anyone know how to do it? Thanks, Bill
    left front of case has a lock assembly you'll see. Ignition key goes in lock part way and turns, which releases catch on cover itself.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

We're glad you asked instead of breaking it!
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Thanks a bunch!

I found the sucker!

I have two XS1100's. One of them already has the tank, seat and side covers off (that side cover is broken, though not by me). I can fit the key in the slot with the missing side cover. But it will not go in the one that still has the side cover. I sprayed WD-40 in there, but it still will not go in. I do not want to risk breaking my one and only key. So, I am going to my favorite key shop to get some replacement keys and will try again. At any rate, I have found the solution and am very grateful for your help. Thanks again, Bill

Comment

Yamaha made right and left hand keys.
          There should be a number on the lock face, and if the locks, (ignition and cover), are original, the numbers should match.
          If the key that goes in the ignition doesn't fit the cover lock, they are not matching.
          The cover lock should have a number stamped on the face. If that number is the same as the number on the ignition lock, then the cover lock is FUBARed.
          If the numbers are different, take the cover lock number to a locksmith that has the code book, and they can make a key to fit. Call around and ask if they have the Yamaha code and key blanks before you waste a lot of travel time.
          Last edited by CaptonZap; 06-26-2019, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Wow! You guys are unbelievable. I have the user's Guide, the service manual, a Clymer's manual and none of them mention any of this.

Given that dissertation, I will forgo the use of a small screw driver and resume examining the bike even more closely. Apparently, with a good pair of reading glasses.

Again, Thanks So Much!

Comment

1980 XS1100 Remove left-side cover...

Success!

I finally got the cover off. The key slot is below the cover AND to the left.
              The right cover does not require a key. There is no left and right keys. The prior post was BS. But that is alright. I really appreciate the good advice and will learn to ignore the nonsense.

Thanks again, Bill

Comment

Originally posted by WJambois View Post
                Success!

(Snip)There is no left and right keys. The prior post was BS. But that is alright. I really appreciate the good advice and will learn to ignore the nonsense.

Thanks again, Bill
                I don’t think right-handed and left-handed keys were in reference to right and left side covers.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

1980 XS1100 Remove Left-side Cover...

Sorry, my mistake. I was focused on that issue and thus thought all comments were in reference to that issue.

Comment

Post #2

motoman mentioned that the key goes in part way into side cover lock. He is correct. The key goes in just slightly, not all the way like the ignition switch.
                    1981 XS1100H Venturer
                    K&N Air Filter
                    ACCT
                    Custom Paint by Deitz
                    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                    Stebel Nautilus Horn
                    EBC Front Rotors
                    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                      I don’t think right-handed and left-handed keys were in reference to right and left side covers.
                      Right you are Sid.

When you put the two keys together with the bumps down, the grooves are on different sides, thus right and left handed.
                      CZ

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                        Right you are Sid.

When you put the two keys together with the bumps down, the grooves are on different sides, thus right and left handed.
                        CZ

Comment

1980 XS1100 Remove Left-side Cover...

Bottom line: The derned thing is off the bike and it ain't broke.

I really, really appreciate all of the help.

But, when the subject devolves to which side of the key the grooves are on, you are now entering territory that is beyond my need to know. (And, if the turn the key over, the grooves are suddenly on the other side).

Now that I have the cover off, and I have my new Lithium battery, I will swap out the old battery for the new one. I will install leads that will allow me to readily apply my lithium-compatible battery tender when winter creeps back.

This will take me a week. I am retired now. And am very contemplative.
                          But, next week, I intend to ride the bike!

Comment

Working...
                          X