Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One last thing before I put it together again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One last thing before I put it together again...

This sojourn into my XS11 carbs has been far more eventful than I anticipated. It started a few days ago when I decided to start it. I put in gas and opened prime on the petcocks. Gas flowed everywhere. Pulled the carbs. No. 4 cylinder float was jammed. Freed it, cleaned out air box. Bought oil. Reinstalled carbs. Turned on fuel. Both fuel t's start flowing freely all over my driveway. Pulled carbs. Fixed fuel T's. Reinstalled. Turned on left petcock. Fuel flowed everywhere. Discovered my fuel line had cracked right where it attached to the petcock. Cut off end. Reattached. Turned on gas. Gas flowed everywhere. Other fuel line had developed a crack, right next to the inline filter. Both fuel lines are still flexible and supple. Whatever. On my way to O'Reilly's to get more fuel line.

Ok, before I reinstall them again, WTF else should I check? I am running out of places for my carbs to leak, but I know they have something else up their sleeve. Please help me anticipate.

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Patrick,
    I have found that stuck floats is pretty common after re-installing the carbs. That has happened to me frequently. The floats don’t like all of that maneuvering and twisting and turning and jarring of the carbs when intalling them, causing gas overflow since the floats are not shutting off the flow. Often times all it takes is some tapping on the carbs (while still on the bike) to free the floats. Tapping with a rubber mallet on the bowls or even a screw driver handle is usually enough to jar the float free. If that doesn’t work and you have to take the carbs back off, check to make sure the gaskets are trimmed inside of the bowls so that the floats cannot get hung up on them.
    Good luck!
    Bob's Bikes:
    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
    "
    Project XS11"
    "Rucksack Grunt"
    "Small Unit Leadership"
    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
    For Sale Here.

Comment

Good call, Bob. Thanks. I actually put the carbs back on again. They tried to get me. Well, not the carbs. My left petcock, which has always worked well, including not letting gas drip out of my tank when it was off the bike all this week with the petcocks on. But after I did a leak test on the carbs off the bike, using the left petcock, when I turned the petcock from prime to on the gas did not stop. WTF. I tilted the tail forward until I had the gas line attached to the tank. The good news? Even knowing that the left petcock is on constant flow, there is no gas on my driveway. At least right now. So my fuel needles and seats are still sealing.

It is not supposed to be this hard.

Patrick
      The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
      1969 Yamaha DT1B
      Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

It is not supposed to be this hard.
        Are you sure about that?
        78 E

Comment

You might find that things are this hard on a regular basis...
          "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Working...
          X