Shifting ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifting ?

I just got this XS on the road and am generally haveing a blast with it. I'm still a little concerned with how it shifts though. Given the history of trany probs with these I would like to avoid any future trouble. It downshifts everytime with no problem. The upshifts don't seem to be consistant though. At low RPMs (below 3000) it clicks right in all the time but if I try running it up through the gears sometimes it goes right in and other times you get a rough feel like the dogs are chattering or skipping before they engage. Sort of a clickity clack clunk instead of a clean click in. Mostly 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th. I understand these tranys are noted for rough shifting but is there anything that will improve it? I've already adjusted the clutch. Not to start an oil debate but I was wondering if a synthetic or motorcycle specific oil would help? I'm currently running 10/40 Kendal GT-1. I've ridden a few dirt bikes before plus the Harley and although it's shifter would probably be considered a bit heavy by todays standards, I've never experianced this crunching/clattering into gear before. Perhaps I'll have to learn to live with it. Thanks, Jim
    Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"
    2000 Heritage "Snow White"

Shifting

Underdog, do not go to synthetic oil.
    Do go to 20-50 Dino juice.
    Get more time on riding the bike. You will find a lot of your shifting complaints will go away as you get more familiar with the bike. Start being very conscious of all your shifts and try and be smooth. You will find that with the proper cadence a lot of the rough shifting will disappear. Make sure you release upward pressure on the shift lever between each shift to allow the things to recycle in preparation for the next shift. When I first got the Ratbyk 4 years ago I thought the trans was rough as well. As time went by with effort on my part was able to acquire a "feel "for it and life is mucho better.
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

I definitely agree with Ken on this. As you gain more experience with the XS tranny, I think you'll find that it will be very smooth and quiet.

From 2nd on up, try using very little clutch, like just a nudge, not a full lever pull and flick down the thottle as you upshift.

The left/right dance takes some practice to learn but when you get it right, you won't even hear her shift.

Works for me, anyway.

HTH

randy

Comment

Randy, When you say flick down the throttle do you mean speed the engine up or slow it down? I've been leaveing off (granny shifting) Thanks
        Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"

Comment

Throttle down just a bit, to match the engine speed to the higher gear, lower the engine speed.

Comment

Ditto. 6000 rpm shifts and higher make the relative speed differences of the slots and dogs too high, except for occasional use. There is even a "false neutral" between gears if you don't engage it fully. The best thing if that happens is to pull in the clutch, slow down considerably, and then put her fully in gear IMHO.

Originally posted by randy
            Throttle down just a bit, to match the engine speed to the higher gear, lower the engine speed.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

smoother shifting

I agree with the other replies. To sum it up, here's what I do that works well. When upshifting, preload the shifter (put light upward pressure with your left foor), then when you want to shift, no matter what the rpms, simultaneously flick the clutch lever in/out a fast a possible while turning the throttle off and on again. This should result in a very positive, noiseless upshift. If you miss the gear change, as Underdog said, pull in your clutch and coast to a near stop before trying to reingage. This may be embarrassing, but it is better than grinding the living *hit out of your gears to force it in. I have never had good luck getting smoothly back into gear after a missed shift. Practice this technique and see how it works for you. If it doesn't,
              then you may want to look at tranny issues. Better yet, if you have an experienced XSive in your area, pay a visit and have him/her testdrive it for some feedback.
              Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

On the Mongrel the shift into first after starting up the engine in the morning was always hard a loud. Now I start it in gear with the clutch in to break the plates free when they're cold.

I lso second the other comments, it's better once you get a feel for it but that won't stop me from blueprinting the gear box if I ever have a reason to dig into it.

Geezer
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Well, I tried the sugested method and it seems to work really well. I think I was taking too much time and pulling the clutch in all the way. Sounds crazy but it seems to work better if you just nudge the clutch & flick everything real quick.
                  Unfortunately I got a ticket in the process. Dang 25mph speedtrap. I was the last after a string of cars all going the same speed so I got pulled over I did some quick talk'n (told him about how I just got it on the road & the speedo don't work...lie) and the cop reduced it to disobeaying a trafic control devise. So no points and a $75 fine instead of 3 points and 125 bucks. Still, I could find a better use for 75 bucks. Thanks again, Jim
                  Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"

Comment

Nuts! So much for "free" advice, eh? Sorry to hear about the ticket, but glad to hear the shifts went better. Now, lets discuss adding a radar detector........
                    Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

Municipal Coffers

Underdog, sh_t happens. Congratulation on making a "tax" payment to your local municipality.
                      Glad to hear that the shifting is improving. A few more rides and you will master the"cadence" required to move your beast down the road smoothly. Once you master it you will have more time to check out the road ahead.
                      Ken/Sooke

Comment

Working...
                      X