Leaking stopped
Had a similar experience with my petcock valves leaking after sitting dry all winter and dumping some gas into the tank for startup. Especially when I moved them to prime for start up. Moved back to "on" and let it sit.
It was a fast drip on prime, but after a sitting overnight with gas, and moving the petcock from on to prime a couple times, they stopped leaking. Not a drop since.
Lucky for me I was able to go riding
Brian
Massive fuel leak
Collapse
X
-
-
Rather than having my house explode, I drained all gas from the bike and I have separated the carbs and tank from the bike. I've been all over these carbs the last few days and I am confident I have solved all leaks except the T's. Despite the fuel flowing everywhere in my garage, the inside of my airbag was bone dry. The second time. The bike actually sat with fuel in it for a year (I know) and never leaked. When I drained the bad gas and put in fresh gas it leaked everywhere. So I believe my petcocks are still holding vacuum and my fuel valves were not leaking until the new gas melted the crap that had formed.
I rode this bike for years (except the last one) without a single issue. It always started, always ran and never leaked. I even had the same battery the whole time. I need to get back to that.
BTW, I once tried to change the b-fly seals on a set of these carbs. Never, ever again....
PatrickLeave a comment:
-
Fuel Tee Repair Thread
Here's a link to the fuel tee repair.
My version starts on post #8 and has been flawless for three years running.
While you have the carb bank apart replace the B-Fly shaft seals also.Leave a comment:
-
I'm sure Diver Ray, 3Phase and a few others here on the site remember and can verify these fire incidenses took place!Leave a comment:
-
As I'm sure you've seen in the past on here, there's been more than one member who had there home, etc. go up in flamesWEll, after a night of exposure to gas, the T's did seem to swell a bit. The leak is more of a seep, right now. Still enough to really stink up the garage and front room. I need to go to Harbor Freight anyway, is I'll look for some nitrile orings. Eventually I will need to go the correct repair route, but I need to see if my XS11 is the bike that will be my regular rider this year. I may do this season on my VF750. Less power, but more nimble for city traffic.
from an XS11's leaky fuel situation. I highly recommend the bike be parked outdoors till that leaky fuel situation IS resolved
.
Leave a comment:
-
If this is one of your F standards, you should also deal with the leaky needle and seat in the fuel valves.Leave a comment:
-
WEll, after a night of exposure to gas, the T's did seem to swell a bit. The leak is more of a seep, right now. Still enough to really stink up the garage and front room. I need to go to Harbor Freight anyway, is I'll look for some nitrile orings. Eventually I will need to go the correct repair route, but I need to see if my XS11 is the bike that will be my regular rider this year. I may do this season on my VF750. Less power, but more nimble for city traffic.Leave a comment:
-
I used a nitril O ring set from Harbor Freight to fit one set of carbs. It DID work, but it was hard to insert the first time. I cleaned the old rubber off the "T", used 2 rings per side on the "T", and dielectric grease to ease them in.Leave a comment:
-
I'm not riding anywhere today anyway. I guess I'll give it overnight and see what happens.
PatrickLeave a comment:
-
I sure did have the same problem. I did the o-ring fix about 4 years ago, then let the bike sit for the last three years. After it leaked all over I walked away frustrated, came back a few hours later and they swelled back up and no more leak! I did have to change the oil though.Leave a comment:
-
Alaskey just had the same problem:
He had the same result that I normally have. The T's normally swell up within a few hours after fuel exposure, and will work just fine.
You might be able to just turn off the petcocks and come back in a few hours.Leave a comment:
-
Thanks, Jeff. You are right. Those are not cheap. I'd like to find them for about half that....Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: