Massive fuel leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive fuel leak

For those who will see pictures of this fuel leak on the national news tonight - don't worry, it's not Arkansas flood pictures. Even of the crests on the waves off flowing fuel are surf able.

OK, maybe it's not quite that bad. But it seems that bad. I pour fuel in the top, it pours out the bottom.

This is not a "please help me find the leak" post. This is a "crap, I've got a leak and it seems the parts are unobtainable" post. Maybe someone has an idea.

The leak occurs on both sets of carbs, fright where the fuel feeds the carbs. The ridges on the fuel line T that connects the fuel lines and slides into the carbs have shrunk with age and gas leaks from there. Badly. I cannot find new carb T's.

I've been to a couple of auto parts places looking for o rings that would fit the t's, but no luck. I know I am not the first to face this issue. How do I fix it?

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

I am not sure why this posted twice. Maybe the forum deemed it an emergency?
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36207

T fix thread. In the Repairs section under Carbs & Fuel

The Sirius Consolidated T's are great. The best way to fix it, but more expensive. I've put these T's in 3 sets of carbs and they are a great upgrade.

Yeah, been seeing the terrible flooding there along the Arkansas River and other places too ....... Awful to have your stuff flooded or washed away.

Jeff
      Last edited by JeffH; 05-31-2019, 12:03 PM.
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Thanks, Jeff. You are right. Those are not cheap. I'd like to find them for about half that....

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

I found a guy on Ebay who has one used one for sale. He wants $86.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Alaskey just had the same problem:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&highlight=gas

He had the same result that I normally have. The T's normally swell up within a few hours after fuel exposure, and will work just fine.

You might be able to just turn off the petcocks and come back in a few hours.
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

I sure did have the same problem. I did the o-ring fix about 4 years ago, then let the bike sit for the last three years. After it leaked all over I walked away frustrated, came back a few hours later and they swelled back up and no more leak! I did have to change the oil though.
              78 E

Comment

I'm not riding anywhere today anyway. I guess I'll give it overnight and see what happens.

Patrick

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

I used a nitril O ring set from Harbor Freight to fit one set of carbs. It DID work, but it was hard to insert the first time. I cleaned the old rubber off the "T", used 2 rings per side on the "T", and dielectric grease to ease them in.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

WEll, after a night of exposure to gas, the T's did seem to swell a bit. The leak is more of a seep, right now. Still enough to really stink up the garage and front room. I need to go to Harbor Freight anyway, is I'll look for some nitrile orings. Eventually I will need to go the correct repair route, but I need to see if my XS11 is the bike that will be my regular rider this year. I may do this season on my VF750. Less power, but more nimble for city traffic.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

If this is one of your F standards, you should also deal with the leaky needle and seat in the fuel valves.
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by Incubus View Post
                        WEll, after a night of exposure to gas, the T's did seem to swell a bit. The leak is more of a seep, right now. Still enough to really stink up the garage and front room. I need to go to Harbor Freight anyway, is I'll look for some nitrile orings. Eventually I will need to go the correct repair route, but I need to see if my XS11 is the bike that will be my regular rider this year. I may do this season on my VF750. Less power, but more nimble for city traffic.
                        As I'm sure you've seen in the past on here, there's been more than one member who had there home, etc. go up in flames from an XS11's leaky fuel situation. I highly recommend the bike be parked outdoors till that leaky fuel situation IS resolved.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I'm sure Diver Ray, 3Phase and a few others here on the site remember and can verify these fire incidenses took place!
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Fuel Tee Repair Thread

Here's a link to the fuel tee repair.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45254

My version starts on post #8 and has been flawless for three years running.

While you have the carb bank apart replace the B-Fly shaft seals also.
                            1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                            1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                            1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                            1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                            1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Rather than having my house explode, I drained all gas from the bike and I have separated the carbs and tank from the bike. I've been all over these carbs the last few days and I am confident I have solved all leaks except the T's. Despite the fuel flowing everywhere in my garage, the inside of my airbag was bone dry. The second time. The bike actually sat with fuel in it for a year (I know) and never leaked. When I drained the bad gas and put in fresh gas it leaked everywhere. So I believe my petcocks are still holding vacuum and my fuel valves were not leaking until the new gas melted the crap that had formed.

I rode this bike for years (except the last one) without a single issue. It always started, always ran and never leaked. I even had the same battery the whole time. I need to get back to that.

BTW, I once tried to change the b-fly seals on a set of these carbs. Never, ever again....

Patrick

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Working...
                              X