It'S ALIVE!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It'S ALIVE!!

Well, my kids are just old enough were I sleep though the night most nights and I moved my family out of the big city. I ordered a few parts and tried to fire up the beast tonight to mild success! It started, I had to tend the throttle to keep it going, and noticed it smelled like a LOT of gas. Turns out it was leaking everywhere. 3.5 years ago i abruptly stopped riding and let it sit with a little gas in the tank and carbs until we moved 6 months ago. Then I had to drain the gas so the movers would put it in their truck.

Things I've done:
    1. Replaced petcocks that I needed to use pliers to turn
    2. Put fuel line that isn't almost 60 years old on
    3. Charge the battery
    4. Shoot some carb cleaner into the airbox

How tight should the fuel line be? I'm thinking I bought a size too large, it slides on and off very easily.

Here are some pictures and video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bwkwXDxQektJq4J2A
    78 E

Originally posted by alaskey2 View Post
    Well, my kids are just old enough were I sleep though the night most nights and I moved my family out of the big city. I ordered a few parts and tried to fire up the beast tonight to mild success! It started, I had to tend the throttle to keep it going, and noticed it smelled like a LOT of gas. Turns out it was leaking everywhere. 3.5 years ago i abruptly stopped riding and let it sit with a little gas in the tank and carbs until we moved 6 months ago. Then I had to drain the gas so the movers would put it in their truck.

Things I've done:
    1. Replaced petcocks that I needed to use pliers to turn
    2. Put fuel line that isn't almost 60 years old on
    3. Charge the battery
    4. Shoot some carb cleaner into the airbox

How tight should the fuel line be? I'm thinking I bought a size too large, it slides on and off very easily.

Here are some pictures and video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bwkwXDxQektJq4J2A
    Would suggest the oil/filter be changed, as it's very possible fuel may have leaked from carbs.....forward into crankcase.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

carb cleaning due

Hi, since its been sitting awhile, almost guaranteed the floats, needles are going to be sticking,,,so, its time to yank the carbs off and clean em good. Also, replace filter, lines etc.......good to hear its alive again..........Mike in SUn Diego
      mike
      1982 xj1100 maxim
      1981 venture bagger
      1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
      1959 wife

Comment

Two probable sources of your leaks in #3 and #4 carbs:

(1) The rubber T's that connect the fuel hoses to the carbs always dry out when not in use. They leak a LOT when they are dry. If you turn off the petcocks and come back in a few hours, they will be swelled.

(2) Stuck floats - you can tap on the side of the float bowl with a screwdriver handle to knock them loose.

Maybe it doesn't run right because the fuel level in the bowls is unstable due to the leaks?
        -Mike
        _________
        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

I came back in a few hours and the leak stopped. It's idling really rough, I'll change the oil before I do anyting else.
          78 E

Comment

Did you run out of gas that is why the leaked stopped? Don't run it with fuel leaking-good way to start a fire.
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Inline fuel filters
            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
            160 mph speedometer mod
            Kerker Exhaust
            xschop K & N air filter setup
            Dynojet Recalibration kit
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Well, it's running, but not on cylinder 1 (sitting on the bike, it's the one on the left, I think that's #1).

I've read a few threads on a cylinder that doesn't fire and when checking for electrical issues, it's never suggested to pull the plug, hold it against the engine and look for spark. Why is that? Can this harm the engine? I always thought that was the best/easiest way to check for spark.
              78 E

Comment

pull the plug, hold it against the engine and look for spark
                It is OK to do this as I have before, do it carefully and away from the open plug hole, keep your face outta there. Possible combusting gasses may be the concern?
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I don't know why they say not to check spark by holding the plug against the engine, I have been doing it that way for years without any problems.

However I have discovered a much easier way to check for spark. If you have an automotive inductive timing light, just leave the plug in and clamp the timing light onto the plug wire and turn the engine over and the timing light will start flashing if you have spark. You can check all 4 in just a few quick minutes. Works great!
                  Bob's Bikes:
                  79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                  https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                  https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                  "
                  Project XS11"
                  "Rucksack Grunt"
                  "Small Unit Leadership"
                  "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                  For Sale Here.

Comment

That is a great tip! Wow, learn something new when I least expect it.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                    X