Gas gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas gauge

Has anyone ever tried to connect an actual gas gauge on a cycle equiped with a low fuel light? I'd like to try and put a gauge on my '79 SF, just wonderd if it had been done before, or suggestions that might make it work if I'm the first. Thanks in advance brethren.
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game. (borrowed from strom)
    The idea is to die young............as late as possible.
    1979 XS1100SF Special

Hey there Phyxius,

The Standards come with a gas gauge, and a float sending unit in the tank. The Specials have a smaller tank, and Yamaha figured that they wouldn't be used for touring as much as sport cruising, so we only got the light. But gas stations are close by for in town cruises, right!? I'm not sure if there's enough room in the Special tank to hold the Standard's sending unit/float assembly, or if the bolt holes for the mounting plate will match up?

The wiring diagram in my Clymers for the SF doesn't make sense, cause it shows two wires to the fuel bulb, one ground and the other going to the sending unit, which also goes to ground, but no where does it show a power lead going to the bulb first which it's supposed to!?

The diagram for the "F" shows power lead to gauge, plus second wire from junction with VoltReg/Alt, and 3rd wire to sending unit then to ground! Not sure why it has two ?power? leads going to the gauge? Good Luck.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
    X