X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stops When Hot"

IM NEW TO THE XS100 MIDNIGHT SPECIAL"
    I RODE HER HOME 200 MILES BUT
    AFTER RIDEING HER FOR TWO DAYS ON AND OFF IME GETTING PROBS" FIRSTLY WHEN IN LOW REVS I.E. UNDER 3000 RPM
    SHE JUDDERS WHEN PULLING AWAY AND THEN CORRECTS HERSELF
    BUT TODAY SHE KEPT STOPPING INSTANTLY"" AND THEN STARTING AGAIN ON THE BUTTON"" BUT I FEEL SHE IS RUNNING HOT
    PLEASE HELP
    MANY THANKS RICK
    ITS NICE TO BE IMPORTANT"
    BUT MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE"

1. Make sure that the gas tank vent is not plugged. You can open the filler cap a little and ride it to check that.

2. Check out the threads in this list for the pick-up coil problem for pre 81 xs1100's. If it idles OK, you can disable the rotation of the pickups by disconnecting the hose at the No. 2 carb nipple, plug that nipple with a piece of hose with a golf tee in the end. If you have no problems running the engine like this, it is indicative that the rotation of the pickup coil plate is making the problems in the P.U. wires appear... Bad wires. It won't run great this way, but if it runs on all 4 instead of just, 2, it should tell you something.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

running probs

HI OUT THEAR IN THE USA IVE NEVER MAILED ANY ONE THAT FAR AWAY CLEVER THINGS THEASE COMPUTER THINGS ARNT THEY""""
      I WILL TRY WHAT YOU SAID ABOUGHT THE FILLER CAP ECT AS WHEN I HAD THE PROBLEM I.E. JUST STOPING""" AFTER THAT THEAR WAS A HISSING SOUND COMEING FROM THE FILLER CAP ON THE GAS TANK AS YOU CALL IT"""
      many thanks rick i.e. noby makes me feel that thears a presure build up in tank"""

Comment

gas tank vent

""""sorry but were is the gas tank vent ????

Comment

Tank Vent

Don't know a Midnight Special but assume it is the same as my XS1100 E. Flip open the fuel filler cap and on the small round indent on the underside that would enter down into the tank cavity you will find a small hole. About an 1/8" in size. Take an ice pick type tool and ream it out a bit. I you have access to compressed air give the hole a couple of shots of air pressure to clear out any crap and obstructions.
          Ken/Sooke
          PS, Stop shouting at us. Too many capitals. Keep it up and we will all need hearing aids!

Comment

bad running

"""""SORRY"""" abought the shouting""im new too all of this will try in morn to avoide anoying neighbours for some reason they get the hump with me starting my little xs1100 up at 3 in morn"""" dont no why with straight through mufflers""

Comment

Re: Tank Vent

That is the overflow hole, and it needs to be clear also, but I think there is a hole in the cap also that vents pressure from inside the tank. Take your cap apart and clean it out. Is there a ball and spring in there...in cant remember...

Originally posted by ratbyk
              Don't know a Midnight Special but assume it is the same as my XS1100 E. Flip open the fuel filler cap and on the small round indent on the underside that would enter down into the tank cavity you will find a small hole. About an 1/8" in size. Take an ice pick type tool and ream it out a bit. I you have access to compressed air give the hole a couple of shots of air pressure to clear out any crap and obstructions.
              Ken/Sooke
              PS, Stop shouting at us. Too many capitals. Keep it up and we will all need hearing aids!
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

bad running

thanks for that i will now go and have ago at that as im in garage now cheers

Comment

HI ALL"" took advise and checked and checked coil wires
                  """great she is now running sweet
                  thear were rwo breaks now fixed
                  many thanks from rick in the uk

Comment

Working...
                  X