kickstart where does it live ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kickstart where does it live ?

hi again i have a 5k7 xs1100 which has a kickstart shaft fitted to the engine and i have a clip on kick start and it all works but where do you store the kick start lever when not required please dont say stick it up your *********? heard that to often cant find anywhere on the bike to store it maybe a lug cut off or something please advise i look more of a prat than usual walking around my bike trying to find a place to put this chunck of bent grey iron

tool box

i thought in the tool box?my xj did not have a box on when i got it but my parts bike did.it was located way down toward bottom of the bike.But the XJ also didn't have a kick option,but the hole is in the side cover and sez kick start?
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

On the79 model the kick start lever was attached behind the engine to the inside of the rear brake master cylinder. It was held in place by a large wing nut. I used to own a 79XS750 SF and it had a retractable kick start lever. Maybe it has the same splines as the 1100, and you can swap them out?

Comment

Chevy, That plug on the clutch cover is where the kick start shaft would protrude on the 78-79 models. It was eliminated in 80.

Comment

Most yamaha's in this vintage seem to have the same spline. I tried one off an XT400 but it hit the rear engine mount bolt. I settled for the 78 XS750 kick although it hangs way forward and hits the foot peg at stroke length.
          History is merrily fables agreed apon

Comment

Kick Start lever

Hi,
            The kick start lever on the 1979 Special is located under the airbox, on the right side of the bike (facing forward)

The lever is easily identifiable by the 'check ball' located inside the spline hole.
            And the lever is is grey, and does not swivel.

It mounts with a 'clip'at the inside edge and faces rearward (into the little bubble in the rear fender)

The splined end is held to the frame with a wingnut AND a black metal cover.
            If you need pictures or further reference information.
            Just e-mail me

You'll find my address here!
            And I'll be glad to help!

"bis pueri senes"
            "old men are childeren twice"
            (Julius Caesar cir-336)
            MO-N-STEVE
            '79 SF "MO's Missile"
            '79 SF "That Old Black Magic"
            '79 SF "the Tomato Can"
            '80 SG "The BEAST"
            '80 XS850-SG "STILETTO"
            '81 SH "The NEW KID"
            '76 CB 750 K5 "The Orphan"

Comment

kick start has a home

thanks for the info fits perfect my bike is a 5k7 model though registered in late 83 think its a strange one kickstart now bolted in with stainless 6mm socket cap bolt and penny washer will be fitting megasquirt fuel injection in the winter will keep you posted as work progreses thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
              X