Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Schooling Needed

XS11 Friends,
    The battery in my "Dead Duck" has given up the ghost and requires replacement. Unfortunately, the Dead Duck is not an ordinary XS11.

[IMG][/IMG]

Dead Duck has been modified into my impression of a "Café" bike. The OEM side covers have been eliminated (reducing battery size available).

I HAD been using a battery that came with my "Mayberry" XS11 (12N143A). The PO of Mayberry apparently purchased the cheapest battery he could find to make the thing run which I very promptly replaced with an OEM style & size battery.

I repurposed the too small battery into Dead Duck, but it has only lasted 2-Years and is now toast. Obviously, a battery should last 5-7+ years as this has been my experience with all the other bikes.

[IMG][/IMG]

I've been looking at the GEL batteries which are much smaller but claim to have al the power and longevity of the OEM. These would be a perfect fit (actually a little smaller than the one I've been using).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCXC9AQ..._t3_B01F2OCOZ2

BUT, finding information on the specifications of the OEM battery is difficult. It APPEARS the OEM battery was rated at 20amp/252watts. I've seen references to various CCA specifications for the OEM battery between 200CCA and 230 CCA. What the heck is the REAL specification(s)?

The OEM is something like 10"+ Long..... I can do like 6" without an issue. OEM Height (6-1/2")and OEM Width (3-1/2 ") did not change with my modification to this machine.

Any suggestions for a high quality long-lived battery replacement for this machine?

Thoughts?

KURT
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Nope, no help here. I’ve always used the cheapest Walmart or advanced auto battery in the stock size.....they’ve always worked just fine and I usually have a kicker. I extend the life a few seasons by kicking over a crappy one. Lol
    For the standard I picked up a good, sealed battery at a much higher cost only to notice I wasn’t holding a very good charge. When I inspected it half of my positive terminal had melted off! So I’d think I’ll be getting another advanced auto special when I get back to that one.

As always the pics look nice!

I have a set of 80 sg side covers if you want them??? Then you could go back to a regular size battery!! All kidding aside.... trimmed a set down so they were much skinnier than stock. Just took a grinder and lopped the top off where the mount slots were...and trimmed the bottom on the tab side (mostly because it was already broken) and just let the locking side alone......and I used a set of standard covers bacause the tops were flat like the seat..then just drilled some holes and zip stripped them on.

79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
    80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
    80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
    79 DT 100

Comment

From the website:https://shoraipower.com/batteries-c41
      Standard Recommendation: lfx27l3-bs12 $275.95
      Weight (lbs): 3.75 lbs
      Weight (kg): 1.70 kg
      Cold Cranking Amps: 405
      Polarity: [- +]
      L 6.55" W 3.39"

Duration Recommendation: lfx36l3-bs12 $329.95
      Weight (lbs): 4.55 lbs
      Weight (kg): 2.06 kg
      Cold Cranking Amps: 540
      Polarity: [- +]
      L 6.55" W 3.39"
      These are the two recommended for the replacement of STOCK battery. You should be able to find one with at least 410CCA that is a smaller case size that will work.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hi Kurt & Happy New Year to All !!!

I've done extensive research, as I always do, before I spend my hard earned money and I ended up using a Braille AGM for my full dressed '80G.

I've been using AGM's in all my bikes, with good results, for years.

Here's a link to the Braille site :

https://www.braillebattery.com/

They cost a bit more but I believe these charging systems need a good "Heart" to perform well.
        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

I believe JeffH has the info you seek. He’s running a small lightweight battery in his dressed E. Contact him.

I run with a Deka AGM in the standard size. They’re inexpensive, made in Pennsylvania, and I’ve had good luck with them.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Hey, hope you and Nancy had a nice New's Years Day ride today.
            Sure is warm

so here is overview I mentioned this morning that i'd post:
            FWIW: I ran a Shorai Lithium Ion LFX36L3-BS12 for about 6-8 months before parking the bike for 10K servicing (which it is obviously still waiting for). This type battery comes with warnings about charging up to and over 15v. I talked with Tony (Geezer) and needing a new Regulator / Rectifier anyways purchased the VL (Low Voltage) version of his Oregon Motorcycle Parts VRREM3-XS so mine is VRREM3-XSLV. He says many people here at XS happily run the LV on bikes with regular batteries. I think Ray is running one of those LV's.

Other warning (besides the 15V spikes in charging) is the 13v discharge warning. From what I've experimented with it seems at 13.1v the battery thinks it is pretty much dead. Remember, this is NOT a lead-acid battery so it behaves differently. Really a great product. Literature says with COLD start to turn on key and wait 25 seconds to let battery wake up but I've had no problem with cold starts and no problems with CCA. Li-ion just a different cat.
            works great. And it does stay fully charged for months and months and months on end.

Oh, I also purchased the Shorai charger. Modes are different and charger made specifically for their Li-I batts

You can't go wrong for $99. Just so you don't ruin the battery by spikes in overcharging with the old OEM regulator.
            Time to experiment

Jeff
            Last edited by JeffH; 01-01-2019, 12:39 PM.
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

BTW: Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 Specs

540 CCA
              2 A peak charge rate

6 1/2" long by 3 1/4" deep by 6 1/16" high

It charges and runs its functions via a 5 pin mini-connector
              The Shorai charger balances the LFX Cells and runs battery diagnostics

Can use regular bike battery charger but need to be careful (can't put it on a battery tender either I don't think)

Downside of these batteries if accidentally grounded they will fully discharge in a nan-second causing a dangerous chemical reaction and electrical show
              These things don't behave or react like Lead Acid or AGM Batts so you gotta think.
              But they are great and are very lightweight and smaller than OEM.

Need different Battery Cables too. Battery shorter and lower. Need Longer Cables and some jockeying to get it to fit.

Jeff
              Last edited by JeffH; 01-01-2019, 01:00 PM.
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                BTW: Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 Specs

540 CCA
                2 A peak charge rate

6 1/2" long by 3 1/4" deep by 6 1/16" high

SNIP
                Jeff
                Thanks to all for the information. I have always, and will continue to use, the inexpensive OEM style replacement for the other bikes. Work well and I can't justify the investment in most of these bikes that see very few annual miles each ( maybe 1000 miles each per year +/-).

I need to see if I can make it with 6.5" on the one that Jeff is using..... Think I'm pretty close at 6". Regardless, one of this style will be the way to go. Besides the size constraints, getting into this modified battery box is much more time consuming than the OEM set-up...… something to be avoided to say the least.... That HD seat works well and is properly secured but it is a bugger to get off and on....

I'll keep ya'll posted

KURT

P.S. Jeff we got soaked to the BONES! Then, within a few miles of home NO RAIN..... the entire afternoon following our ride NO RAIN at home.... Go figure? But it was a nice ride and 64 degrees is better than many of our XS11 friends had to play in today!
                Kurt Boehringer
                Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Side Cover Mod...... COOL!!

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
                  I have a set of 80 sg side covers if you want them??? Then you could go back to a regular size battery!! All kidding aside.... trimmed a set down so they were much skinnier than stock. Just took a grinder and lopped the top off where the mount slots were...and trimmed the bottom on the tab side (mostly because it was already broken) and just let the locking side alone......and I used a set of standard covers bacause the tops were flat like the seat..then just drilled some holes and zip stripped them on.
                  Darn that's a great idea! Too late for the DEAD DUCK but just in time for PENSACOLA! I've started back on my OTHER Café project and don't like the way the side covers sit with a modified seat. I also have several sets of spare side covers including those for a G. I'll be copying yet ANOTHER of your ideas!!!

KURT
                  Kurt Boehringer
                  Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                  1980 - XS850SG - Rocky