Handle bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handle bars

Is the XJ's handle bars changeable with a type that are held on by the clamp over the bar type?It appears to me it would be,but i don't want to invest money to get the parts if it won't work.TIA
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Bars (handle ()

Hey Chevy Got a triple tree off a 79 Yamaha 850, measured up ok, was going to change this winter,sold the bike. Tree has rubber mounts for bars,bolts to top of tree, may be able to make something like this work on your tree ( different size rubbers ) ??? bkr

Comment

Hey chevy, Its possible and I recall that some others on the forum have done it but my question is why? That's one thing about the xj that makes it unique.

Comment

Difficult to change the XJ bars. The tops of the forks are splined, and the handlebars fit over these splines. To change bars would require changing the forks, or at east the top tubes. It is not a tripple-T issue. I may be wrong; are the XS fork tops splined with some kind of adapter for clamp-down bars? If so it would be just a matter of getting these adapters.

The advantage of the XJ set-up is that the are adjustable. Take off the ignition switch cover, remove the two bolts that hold the ignition switch in place, then remove the allen bolts that clamp the bars to the splined shafts. You can take off the handlebars and rotate them clockwise 1 or more splines to make the bars wider, or rotate one or more splines counter-clockwise to make the bars narrower. I am running mine 1 spline wider than stock. Replace allen bolts, ignition switch bracket, switch cover, and you are done.

The other adjustment is for height. The hand grips are on round stock. Where these meets the square riser there are splines. Remove the plastic inserts on the inside of the bars. Loosen or remove the allen bolts on the bottom side of the grip bars, then loosen the allen bolts that are under the plastic plugs. Similar to the width adjustment, you can rotate the grips up or down a spline, raising or lowering them. Mine are no set 1 spline higher than stock. Tighten the allen bolts, replace the plastic caps, and you are done.

I found that making these changes makes the XJ a whole lot more comfortable to ride. Before changing the bars, try a couple different settings with the stock set-up and see if you come up with an acceptable combination.
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Bars (handle )

Hey Jerry I know you love your XJ and I loved mine too but the bars suck ( no style) . My opinion.The splines you are referring to have a bolt holding them to the tree,the hole is almost large enough to take 79 Yamaha 850 rubbers. Could be done with some work. I was going to install 79 stuff this winter but sold my XJ. Now have to get rid of donor XS parts too. bkr

Comment

stock is ok

my stock bars are ok,was just thinking of some of those flat drag bars.I will be rebuilding my parts bike someday,but will go with the drag bike look.Very low to the ground raked slighlty,little longer forks etc.Some where on theese fourms someone put up a pic of a guy's bike (i think from germany) but it looked totaly awsome,thats all. i can live with my stockers on my daily driver.And your right they are different from most.Thanks for the input though i do apprecieate it.
            1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Yeath, the square bars are not all that good-looking, though you can polish them up a bit. Also a pain if you are trying to fit anything less than a frame-mounted fairing. You have more choices with the XS round bars. In my case the adjustments made the bars good enough to make me drop thoughts of converting them.

If anyone comes up with a conversion, document the process and post it here to the list!
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.

Comment

Error correction....

In my earlier post I said the top of the forks was splined. This is not correct, sorry for the error. Looking at the parts fiche the handlebars are held to the tripple-t by removeable "holder, handle lower" splined studs. These studs are bolted to the tripple-t and can be removed.

Therefore, converting the XJ bars should not require different fork tubes as I indicated. I don't have my XS fiche handy, so don't know if the handlebar mounts are bolted to the tripple-t in a similar fashion. If they are, the swap from square to round bars may be easier than I assumed.

You may have to move the XJ ignition switch. It currently is centered between the 2 lower square arms, and round bars would pass right over the top, making it impossible to put in the key. If the round bars were offset toward the rider, or on risers to raise them, this may not be an issue.

Sorry for the error, I should have checked the microfiche diagram first....
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.

Comment

thats ok jerry

I know ,i've got my parts bike stripped down. Thats why i ask the question to begin with.It looks like to me,if you take off the spline part,you end up with two holes to mount either riser or a set of regular handle bars.I just dont have a vehical with regular bars XSept a kids bicyle.So i'm not sure how regular bars mount to tripple t's.I thought there was two blocks drilled through with splines on inside to hold bars steady.moving lock cylynders and such would be in the works anyway.thanks for the insite.
                  1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Handle bars

Hey, if your handle bars are is good shape (polished) I'd be interested in buying them from you if you decide to go with XS handle bars.

Comment

Drag bars

Hear you go Mike (Chevy) this is my setup if it helps any. Oh and that drag bike from germany you were talking about, I think I might be the one who put it on this site. Lets see if this is the one you are talking about. Look below my bike.
                      Chris 79 XS11F With mods....!!!!!! 2005 FXST Harley Softail

Comment

Drag XS11

Here Mike.....
                        Chris 79 XS11F With mods....!!!!!! 2005 FXST Harley Softail

Comment

Bars (handle )

Hey Chevy Have 79 YAMAHA 850 bars set was going to install on XJ. Got an offer i couldn't refuse,sold it. Triple tree and bar mounts are yours for the shipping if you want them. Don't know your location so can't say what shipping would be. Don't have any handle bars. bkr

Comment

thanks all

Bike boy thats what i'm looking into like yours.I got the dreaded x on the pic though.Thanks for the offer bkr But will be quite some time before i actually get on the parts bike.Money and time are just not things i have a lot of right now.Still looking to squeeze enough time to put in my cam chain,and valve adjustment.But i really do appreciate the offers and all. .Just trying to think a few things out ahead of time.(my mind works a little different than some)
                            1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Change bars on the XJ11

MIne have been changed by the notorious PO . He left me with the job of changing the master cylinder/mirror holder and the clutch lever holder/mirror holder . The mirrors dont sit right and are hardly functional . The M/C is very hard to get level to fill it . The M/C also hits the tach when you try to orient the brake lever . I imagine I will need to use parts from a seca or something to make this work .
                              XJ1100K
                              Avon rubber
                              MikesXS black coils
                              Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                              MikesXS front master
                              Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
                              Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
                              Progressive fork springs
                              CIBIE headlight reflector
                              YICS Eliminator

Comment

Working...