Oil blowing out of breather hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil blowing out of breather hose

I have oil blowing out of my engine breather hose, broke/worn ring, can I just put a new set of rings in it, found some .25 over. Thanks 'Dog

Excess Blow By

You won't know until you pull it apart. Anyone trying to suggest a specific problem is just guessing. For some reason you do not have a good seal in the piston/rings/cylinder wall area.
    Could be worn out rings but could also be, broken ring lands, scoured cylinder wall, badly scuffed piston, burned piston down the side through the ring land area. Anything that disrupts this seal will cause excessive crankcase pressure and excessive oil and fumes being pumped out the breather hose.
    Sorry,
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

I know this will sound dumb but.....Every time somebody says this is happening they had an over-level problem....or at least it seems to happen a lot!!!
      That is how I come to own my bike!!
      The guy amost renigged on me when he found out that was all that was wrong with it!! (he had just put in new rings also..lucky for me)
      Just a thing that I wanted to mention...hope you don't think that I'm thinking yer stupid or anything like that!!!
      Garry
      '79 SF "Battle Cat"
      outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Blow By

Just a further thought. You could diagnose further by warming up. Do a good compression test. Then repeat the test with a little oil down each cylinder. If it is one hole specific you can tell from this. If is all cylinders from worn rings you should be able to determine as well.
        Garry may well be correct and you are overfull. If you have not overfilled it with oil is it possible that you have bad needle and seats or a defective petcock? This can lead to excessive oil (mix) in the crankcase.
        Ken/Sooke

Comment

Those babies do move a lot of air thru them anyways...yesterday I was just going over to the nieghbors house 3 doors down and was wearing shorts and could feel it puffing air on my leg!!!
          I haven't had the hose on mine for some time now. I don't ride on the highway with shorts on...I don't like perverted old ladies or young ones looking at my underwear!!!
          Garry
          '79 SF "Battle Cat"
          outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Thanks for the replys, One problem is my #1 piston keeps fowling plugs, all this began after I relized i had a leaky petcock, I changed the oil and filter, put complete cutoffs between carbs and petcocks, but I think I had already ridden it while the gas was still mixed with the oil. I wish I could find a set of one over pistons, to go with the rings and replace it. Luckily I have two more xs 11s. Later 'Dog

Comment

#1 Bad

If the #1 piston is damaged but the cylinder wall is good you could get away with putting a good used piston in that hole.
              Piston damage such as broken ring lands without scouring up the cylinder could be repaired satisfactorily in this way.
              Of course if the failure was from gas washed cylinders the cylinder and piston are likely in bad shape.
              Ken/Sooke

Comment

Working...
              X