Oil galley plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil galley plug

On the lower right side of the engine, inside the alternator cover is a plug that is in the oil galley that feeds the lower main bearings. According to the expanded view of the case at the online Yamaha part site, this plug has an o ring on it, and it also has what appears to be an alignment pin on the outer end for the alt cover to line up on. Does aybody know if this plug is just pushed in, or is it treaded? Treaded would make more sense, as it has to withstand the full oil pressure. There are no flats on it to grip with a wrench, nor any way to grip it and pull it out. It seems that the oil leak that I have on the right side is not a crankshaft seal, but it is coming from this plug. Thanks in advance

BTW

Ratbyk, I like the fuel system you described. I may just do that on my bike when I replumb it. I am pulling the engine today to replace the crankshaft seals, and the carbs are off already. Good idea. I have a Special, and I have removed the octopus, but I should be able to find some way to make it work.

Comment

The xs11 has a plug that is pushed-in. Once I started the engine with the alternator removed an it coughed-up the seal, spit it across the garage and started an oil slick!
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

puah in

I had oil leak there also,on an XJ. Igot the o ring from yamahaha dealer.only 1-2 dollars. but mine might be a crank seal as it is still leaking.Man that brings up a bitch for me too.When i took my bike in to have trans fixed,the bike was solid,didn't leak from anywere.after i got it back from shop every sealing surface seeps or just plain leaks,case halfs,valve cover one of the half moons,crank seal right side tensioner,and the list goes on.NEVER WILL I TAKE IT TO SHOP FOR REPAIRS AGAIN.they charged me 1200 dollars to FIX my bike then all this happens.
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Thanks for the info. That will take the guess work out of it. Chevy, your dealer probably didn't use any Yamabond on the case halves. Thats why they leaked. Looks like you got a $1200 F**king.
          Where were you stationed? My lil'brother was in the corps also. Bootcamp at Parris Island, then at Iwo Kuni Japan. He was a Winger. OOO Rah!...Or something like that!
          Last edited by John; 06-24-2004, 01:19 PM.

Comment

out now

I got out of the USMC in 1984.I was trained at camp pendleton Ca.(ya hollywood marine).Spent most of my time there.Just semper fi ,Still american and still pullin for our boy's on active duty.Hope they blow the$hit outta those punk @ss commie Rat b@ssturds ,and get home in one pieace.
            1982 XJ 1100
            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
            X