Oil sending unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil sending unit

Is the oil sending unit in the same spot as the XS1100? I've been reading in the forum about checking the oil pressure. I went and bought the oil pressure guage and just trying to make sure I'm going in the right place. It is located under the 3rd carb. If it is it sure is hard to get to. Any suggestions on what to use to take it off? One more question please. Where do I check my gear oil? Is it where I put the engine oil in at? I went to the dealer and they don't have a dip stick. I did see in the forum how to make one. But just not sure where to check it at. Thanks/Jesse XJ1100

You have found the sender, it is the same as the XS, and it can be removed with a 1"socket, but follow the oil galley to the left side of the engine, right above the starter, and remove that bolt, and tap your gauge in there. Much easier. Check the middle gear oil at the top of the middle drive. there will be a Allen head plug there. There is a dip stick for checking it, but if you don't have it, then the best way is to drain it, and refill it with 10 oz of gear oil. The drain is in the rear, bottom of the engine, above the center stand. It's a big bolt head, something like 17mm. The final drive takes 10oz also.
    Last edited by John; 06-23-2004, 02:21 PM.

Comment

plug on xj

there might be a little cap on the allen head if you have troubles finding it. Its black plastic comes right off with a fingernail or other small prying device.
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Navy...It's more than ships at sea...It's shafts and screws that make it work. It's not just a job...it's an adventure..in anal stimulus

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Comment

I thought that the sender was on the oil pan on the xj? Maybe I'm just special though.

Comment

oil pan

I thought so too.Then whats that by my oil pan with the wires coming off it?
              1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Hey chevy, is the thing you are talking about with a wire coming off of it on the left hand side of the engine? If so then you are probably thinking of the neutral switch.

Comment

Yes that is the neutral switch. Oil press switch is below #3 carb. The device on the oil pan of your XJ is low oil level sensor. Another one of the bells and whistles on an XJ that we XS owners don't have to mess with.
                  PS, I know this because I have two XJ's that I was going to restore, but decided to part out.
                  Last edited by John; 06-24-2004, 12:23 PM.

Comment

My bike doesnt have an oil pressure switch. Come to think about it neither did the complete parts bike. Under # 3 carb is the top end oil line and a plugged hole. I'd imagine that the sensor goes where the port is plugged. Maybe the XJs didnt have one?

Comment

I just checked one of the engines from an XJ and it did not have an OP sender where the XS's sender is. Maybe the XJ used a low level switch instead. Maybe Jerry will chime in, he rides an XJ. The XS definitly has one though.

Comment

looked at it

Wire is out bottom of motor,low oil sender like mentioed.Under carb three the bottom oil line and a pluged hole also like stated.So i guess we didn't have a pressure switch just low level warning light.I thought the lite on dash was low pressure,I stand corrected its low oil level.
                        1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Alright you guys got me confused again. Where do I put the oil pressure guage at?

Comment

I have to take off for a little while will get back on later. Going for a ride.

Comment

Ride

What is this' Ride ' of which you spaek? My bikes' been down for over a week, and even if I do get it fixed in the next few days, it's supposed to rain for the 5-6 days.

Comment

Working...
                              X