750/850 Final Drive Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750/850 Final Drive Mod

I have read the post on the final drive mod several times and have some questions:

Can the 750/850 drive shaft (with oil seal) be used in the XS1100 swingarm with the FD mod?

OR

Can the 1100 pinion support be switched into in the 850 FD and use the 1100 drive shaft without spacer?
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Mike,
    I don't think anyone has tried either one. If the splines line up, the drive shaft SHOULD work, but you will need to check overall length to verify. I do know the middle gear and final drive are covered in one manual for both bikes. With Yamaha, this MAY be that they are the same.
    Once I can find a round tuit like 3phase did, I can try out a few ideas myself.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

No, the 750/850 shaft is shorter.

I think I have both out in the garage. If I do I'll post a pic of the difference.

I thought Cody did that in the instructions. The shafts are completely different though. I know that for certain.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

850 Final Drive Available

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
        I have read the post on the final drive mod
        Mike,
        If you decide you want to move forward with one of these mods, I have an 850 final drive you can have. It is in good condition but of no interest to me. I was planning on tossing it with a large bunch of other XS11 extras on my next trip to the local dump. Let me know before it heads to the dump.
        Kurt
        Kurt Boehringer
        Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
        1978 - SR500 - Thumper
        1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
        1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
        1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
        1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
        1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
        1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
        1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
        1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
        2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

850 fd

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
          Mike,
          If you decide you want to move forward with one of these mods, I have an 850 final drive you can have. It is in good condition but of no interest to me. I was planning on tossing it with a large bunch of other XS11 extras on my next trip to the local dump. Let me know before it heads to the dump.
          Kurt
          Hi Kurt,

I will take it. Save it for me please.

Thanks
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

I have read the post on the final drive mod several times and have some questions:

Can the 750/850 drive shaft (with oil seal) be used in the XS1100 swingarm with the FD mod?
            Mike, it can be done if you throw enough time and money at it but the '1100 drive shaft and coupler move/flex too much under load for it to last without shredding the seal.

It'd work fine if all you ever did was ride to Walmart to buy tube socks and beef jerky.

OR

Can the 1100 pinion support be switched into in the 850 FD and use the 1100 drive shaft without spacer?
            No.

The spacer keeps the drive shaft in the correct position, the tension/anti-rattle spring in the coupler will pop the drive shaft out of the splines before you can bolt the final drive back to the swing arm.

If you take out the spring then you might get lucky enough to put it together but the shaft will pop out of the splines the first time you put the transmission in gear.

All you can do after that is take it apart and do it over again with the spacer or go back in the house and sit in front of your computer while making motorcycle noises.
            -- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
              Mike, it can be done if you throw enough time and money at it but the '1100 drive shaft and coupler move/flex too much under load for it to last without shredding the seal.

It'd work fine if all you ever did was ride to Walmart to buy tube socks and beef jerky.

No.

The spacer keeps the drive shaft in the correct position, the tension/anti-rattle spring in the coupler will pop the drive shaft out of the splines before you can bolt the final drive back to the swing arm.

If you take out the spring then you might get lucky enough to put it together but the shaft will pop out of the splines the first time you put the transmission in gear.

All you can do after that is take it apart and do it over again with the spacer or go back in the house and sit in front of your computer while making motorcycle noises.
              Reposted from the reply to the question in my Profile because no one ever reads those stupid things anyway:

(sigh) I had all of this photographed and documented but I closed my Flickr account. I'll have to find the pictures.

The XS750 final drive slightly weaker than the XS850 drive, they're both weaker than the XS1100 final drive.

The '850 has an axle support brace in the right-hand side of the ring gear to keep it from flexing and destroying the bearing.

Notice that the axle tube in the XS750 final drive is not supported

To plug the oil holes in the '750/'850 coupler, I used JB Weld and a couple of fluted aluminum sheet metal nails with one side of the head clipped.

XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > XS11/XJ11

Variation of the 750/850 final drive mod

-- Scott
              _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

That looks like the hard way.

I've been running the original mod (with an 850 FD) for almost 8 years and estimated 80K, maybe more, now without issue.

I love this mod.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

FD Mod

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post

No.

Ok, got it. Use the 850 FD and 1100 driveshaft with spacer. Do you still use the spring between FD and end of shaft?
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer
                  K&N Air Filter
                  ACCT
                  Custom Paint by Deitz
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

Yes use the spring. That keeps the driveshaft engaged in the yoke at the middle drive. FWIW I have had the 750FD for years and haven't had any problem.
                    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

The yoke mod is an option, if you don't want to do it, then don't do it!

We've already had this discussion before, I welded mine because I could, because it's stronger, and because the pieces can't possibly fall off or get separated.

I have a pile of the things so it also makes it easier for me to remember which yoke goes with the modded dive and which ones are stock XS11 yokes.
                      -- Scott
                      _____

Comment

I too, had the 750 FD. I bought from another member off his bike before it went on my bike. Keep the FD fluid changed and lube the spines when you change tires.

Ride it and forget it.
                        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                        X