I could use expert help at this point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could use expert help at this point

I just changed the oil again to make sure all the fuel was out of there (after the dreaded fuel running into the crankcase last fall) and wanted to fire her up after doing so. She's running like pure garbage again, spitting and backfiring at low rpm, only cleans out up top.

I have had these carbs off a dozen times, the needle and seats are new, floats adjusted perfectly, the carbs were tuned with my Colortune, then synced. The rubber plugs inside are new, as are the float bowl gaskets. The mixture screws are all brand new. You could eat off of the carbs they are so clean. The plugs are brand new, I repaired the broken wires at the pickup coil - everything.

I had the bike running absolutely perfectly last summer. She'd start up and purr like a kitten, and when I took her out on the road I was grinning ear to ear as she was faster than I could have ever dreamed. When I'd pull up to a stop sign she'd quietly purr, and it was pure bliss.

That lasted all of a few days apparently, because she's one GROUCHY old gal, now. Just running miserably. I am at my wit's end. What am I missing here? I see nothing visibly wrong in the carbs.
    1980 XS1100G. Work in progress.
    1980 XS1100G. 2nd work in progress.

Sorry it wasn't just zoom-zoom after the oil change and the solving the troubles last fall. Frustrating for sure.

Probably not it but, how old is the gas? Using fuel filters? Any rust in the tank. Battery up to full charge? Pickup coil wire repair went ok? Maybe see how it behaves with that cover off in case it is grounding somehow as it bounces around. Oh, and the vacuum lines are secure and not leaking?

From what you are describing it sounds like it runs OK once fully on the main jets but not on the pilots. Does it now start & idle ok.

Gotta be a simple explanation. Give us a bit more info, that would help.

Jeff
    Last edited by JeffH; 03-28-2018, 06:17 PM.
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

I would spritz water on each header pipe and see which cylinder(s) are not firing.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

It's the weirdest thing. I need to figure out if it's a spark or fuel problem first.
        1980 XS1100G. Work in progress.
        1980 XS1100G. 2nd work in progress.

Comment

Do as Phil said, find out what cyl. isn't working. if you have two cold, the two will tell you if it's electrical or fuel. 1&2, or 3&4 it's gas, 1&4, or 2&3 it's electrical.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Check the battery voltage. Check the voltage at the coils. They should match. A significant voltage drop could cause running problems.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Working...
            X