"The wet hen"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The wet hen"

Does anyone eles bike get mad about being washed?😂😂 Mine gets flat PISSED OFF.... I cover the pods and stay away from the plugs as best I can, looking for problem areas that don't like to be wet. After it sits for a bit it straitens up but till then it's bucking popping....just pissed off. And not washing it is not an option. I like the "weathered" look but not the "I'm lazy and don't care" look.
    79 XS11 F

You need to look at ALL the connections on the bike. My LG was/is that way about a bath. Best thing is some dielectric grease around the OUTSIDE of all connections. You want to seal the wire entrance point as well as the space between the connectors. Don't go crazy, just a thin layer is all you need.
    If that doesn't work, pull the seat and tank and fire it up at night, looking at the plug wires and coils. A spray bottle of water will allow you do try each coil and wire to try and find the one causing the problem. (you should also see the blue spark from bad wires/coils at night).
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Many years ago Gary Grainger had the same problem. Found that moisture was getting on the coils and shorting out his wiring. Once dry his bike ran like a champ. I think he sprayed some kind of water-proof coating on the coil wires and towers and that took care of it.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Mine had butt splices in the pick-up circuit under the frame. No run after wash.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

I did a wiring modification behind the right side cover area at a clip. I have not had an issue since with washing the bike or with rain. If you send me your email via personal message, I will try to send you the information. There will be attachments.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Think it might be related to the voltage drop I've got going on to? I took motomans advice and cleaned EVER connection I could find and I've still got a voltage drop at the coils.
            79 XS11 F

Comment

Originally posted by rangerguy302 View Post
              Think it might be related to the voltage drop I've got going on to? I took motomans advice and cleaned EVER connection I could find and I've still got a voltage drop at the coils.
              I'm guessin' that included taking apart the STOP/RUN switch and cleaning those internal contacts.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

That switch was trashed when I git the bike, I've soldiered the wires. Motoman was verry spacific about that and the ignition switch.
                79 XS11 F

Comment

O...hello Moto...lol
                  79 XS11 F

Comment

Originally posted by rangerguy302 View Post
                    O...hello Moto...lol
                    Well,...hello ranger. That pretty much leaves the obvious at this point.....ignition switch and plug-ins behind fuse panel, or grounding wires...and there are several besides engine/chassis ground on frame in front of battery. For example, several grounding wires attached to voltage regulator hold down bolt. Those and the hold down bolt area need to be shiny clean to keep the electrons happy.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Pretty common for moisture to get in along the pick-up coil wires where they come out of the engine casing. It doesn't take much for a bit to work its way along to cracked insulation where the wires are held in a crimp fitting.
                      Ken Talbot

Comment

Sounds like I'll be chasing grimlins soon, it's my only ride right now and the wife isn't happy about it. But she's met my "mistress" so I think it will work out. Thanks for the info and any other ideas are great!
                        79 XS11 F

Comment

Working...
                        X