Modified center stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified center stand?

Has anyone modified a 78 center stand to fit an 81H set of pipes on a 78? If so, how?
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

No, but I'm about to do something similar with a 78 stand I want to use on an SF with modified stock headers and xs650 silencers lol My problem is the bar with the push plate on, that comes off the side of the stand. This needs to be bent out a tad as the push plate won't clear the underside of the silencer. It prolly needs to go out about an inch. I have a mate who has a welding business who can warm it up and pull it out, its just a case of me finding time to get over there.

Have you got a similar prob with yours?
    Rob
    XS Eleven SF
    Could this be the finest Triumph Bonneville ever built ?
    (Cycle January 1979)

Comment

No, but I believe you can put a "Special" center stand on and solve the problem. The cross over pipe is in different locations, and that is the interference with the center stands. I know on the standard, with the newer or special exhaust, it's in the way of the return spring.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by robbo View Post
        No, but I'm about to do something similar with a 78 stand I want to use on an SF with modified stock headers and xs650 silencers lol My problem is the bar with the push plate on, that comes off the side of the stand. This needs to be bent out a tad as the push plate won't clear the underside of the silencer. It prolly needs to go out about an inch. I have a mate who has a welding business who can warm it up and pull it out, its just a case of me finding time to get over there.

Have you got a similar prob with yours?
        Exactly how I modded my '80G's center stand, heated it red with oxy - acetylene torch and bent it out. Been good for 24 yrs. and still is.
        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Mate, if you can lay your hands on one, Just swap over to a Special centrestand. The main difference between them is that the loop that you push down on with your boot is a larger raduis than on the standards, as the Special mufflers are fatter in that area than the longer Standard muffs
          79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
          Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
          *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
          *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

I'm lucky in the fact that as I've got pattern xs650 Special silencers I don't have the issue with the crossover pipe, so for me it's just a case of getting the bar bent out to clear the silencer.
            Could someone tell me the length of the main stand spring, so I can just buy a generic spring instead of paying over the odds for a Yamaha item.
            Rob
            XS Eleven SF
            (Cycle January 1979)

Comment

Thanks to all. I "think" I tried using a Venturer (81H) stand and there was an issue with the fit, but that was a long time ago. I believe now that the problem is (at least in part) that the 78 stand makes first contact with the cross-over pipe. I suppose that I need to get off my butt and check it out AND try to estimate if there would also be issues with contacting the muffler (if fixed for the cross pipe). I use the centerstand for maintenance, but I would really like it if it was a permanent in case of problems on the road...
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by robbo View Post
                I'm lucky in the fact that as I've got pattern xs650 Special silencers I don't have the issue with the crossover pipe, so for me it's just a case of getting the bar bent out to clear the silencer.
                Could someone tell me the length of the main stand spring, so I can just buy a generic spring instead of paying over the odds for a Yamaha item.
                You'll have to click on the images to enlarge them.

1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Thanks for the spring lengths Schming. I can now do a quick internet search and find one for a sensible price.
                  Rob
                  XS Eleven SF
                  (Cycle January 1979)

Comment

Working...
                  X