carb tweak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb tweak

Hi guys,I need your expertise. I finally have the bike(79f) running well.k+n filter ,4into 2. Carb wise Im running 140 mains and I wanted to go up one more size cause the bike is still a slight lean on the high end after 6 thou rpm. It pulls thru the ranges nicely but my question is when I do go up one more size, being I have the carbs off ,if I should set the needles one notch richer too from the middle standard setting. will the larger mains affect mid range richness (or is that the pilots they affect?) Anyway the plugs(6's)are the same colur through the rpm ranges( light grey to clean)(not white) except idle which I have set rich 2.75 turns to stop the pops. Pipes dont blue up any more.So Im close to perfect. ? How much affect would one notch richer on the needles affect the bike(plugs) and performance. Im going with the mains and a sync but want to know if with the needles i should well enough alone.
    Thanks

Re: carb tweak

You may find that if you do go one more main size, you can back down the pilot screws a turn or so. How often do you really need wide-open conditions? The way I ride, I would say leave her right there! :-) Keep in mind that you can also adjust the fuel level a little higher (small distance when upside-down) to tweek the fuel flow response... Leave the needles in the middle.

Originally posted by young nip
    Hi guys,I need your expertise. I finally have the bike(79f) running well.k+n filter ,4into 2. Carb wise Im running 140 mains and I wanted to go up one more size cause the bike is still a slight lean on the high end after 6 thou rpm. It pulls thru the ranges nicely but my question is when I do go up one more size, being I have the carbs off ,if I should set the needles one notch richer too from the middle standard setting. will the larger mains affect mid range richness (or is that the pilots they affect?) Anyway the plugs(6's)are the same colur through the rpm ranges( light grey to clean)(not white) except idle which I have set rich 2.75 turns to stop the pops. Pipes dont blue up any more.So Im close to perfect. ? How much affect would one notch richer on the needles affect the bike(plugs) and performance. Im going with the mains and a sync but want to know if with the needles i should well enough alone.
    Thanks
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Re: Re: carb tweak

That should read, "smaller distance".

Originally posted by skids
      (small distance when upside-down)
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

On my 79SF with K & N and 4 -2 exhaust 142.5 mains were to big. I went back down to 140 mains and raised the neddle 1 notch. I have great power from 4000 up. Low in still needs some work, I think I need to lower the floats 1mm to richen up the mid range. HTH
        Gary
        79sf
        78e

Comment

carb tweak

Gary ,
          I have the same set up you do other than the needle setting.(middlesetting) Mine pulls out of the low rpms quite nicely. I was looking for a little more top end. I can only get 118 mph top end.(want more, just to know its there) Did you find the 142's too rich and if I did go up one notch richer on the needles would that help add alittle more pull to the midrange and the top end staying with the 140's (being the mains dont kick in till 400o rpm).. plugs are a perfect powdery grey at 45 -5000 rpm. on the chop throtttle. its running pretty good as is , its just that top end.
          Steve

Comment

carb tweak

Gary ,
            I have the same set up you do other than the needle setting.(middlesetting) Mine pulls out of the low rpms quite nicely. I was looking for a little more top end. I can only get 118 mph top end.(want more, just to know its there) Did you find the 142's too rich and if I did go up one notch richer on the needles would that help add alittle more pull to the midrange and the top end staying with the 140's (being the mains dont kick in till 400o rpm).. plugs are a perfect powdery grey at 45 -5000 rpm. on the chop throtttle. its running pretty good as is , its just that top end.(mr. perfectionist)Is this normal for some of the 1100's.guess if i had a dyno and a mixture analyzer Id know.
            Steve

Comment

Steve

I did find that the 142s were to big. The 140s work a lot better with the needle one notch richer. If you change your needle you might want to try two notches. Check out this site, I found it very helpful. Carb Tuning
              Gary
              79sf
              78e

Comment

carb twirp

Well dont I feel dumb. First of all ,gary ,I went to the carb tune site. My bike operates all through the rpms as suggested. pulls through all the rpm ranges very nicely. I left the needle in the middle as suggested by skids and ill stay with the 140s for now. The bike felt like it was leveling off a bit in the high gear wide open.Some times mid range ,but ever so slight. I found out why I can only get so much top speed of 118mph. Seems that when I put the new battery in i missplaced the rubber boot for the positive terminal. I made a make shift to protect the terminal. thought nothing of it.I cleaned and reoiled my filter the other day and I had the seat off. Guess where the old lost rubber boot was for the battery. ?? It was stuck in the air intake!!!! DAH! bike works even better now afetr referring to the tuning site..Results? Ill leave it alone and ride.
                Go ahead guys , yuck it up. I deserve it. Theres one for the books.
                Steve

Comment

Re: carb twirp

Originally posted by young nip
                  Well dont I feel dumb. First of all ,gary ,I went to the carb tune site. My bike operates all through the rpms as suggested. pulls through all the rpm ranges very nicely. I left the needle in the middle as suggested by skids and ill stay with the 140s for now. The bike felt like it was leveling off a bit in the high gear wide open.Some times mid range ,but ever so slight. I found out why I can only get so much top speed of 118mph. Seems that when I put the new battery in i missplaced the rubber boot for the positive terminal. I made a make shift to protect the terminal. thought nothing of it.I cleaned and reoiled my filter the other day and I had the seat off. Guess where the old lost rubber boot was for the battery. ?? It was stuck in the air intake!!!! DAH! bike works even better now afetr referring to the tuning site..Results? Ill leave it alone and ride.
                  Go ahead guys , yuck it up. I deserve it. Theres one for the books.
                  Steve
                  That one is for the books!! Glad you found the problem, But isn't it about always something simple?
                  Gary
                  79sf
                  78e

Comment

Working...
                  X