engine 2h7-009308
    frame 5k7-012200
    carbs 00a00 4y2
    emuls 428 x-5
    main jet 102.5
    needle 5d59
    pilot air 125
    pilot 47.5
    definatly 36mm they have black slides and small dia springs ie 15mm alloy tops cable choke
    please any one sugest a better set up have fitted 132.5 mains but just seams weak all the way plentyof torque 2000rpm to 4000 then goes very flat have checked comps, timing, ig and cam valve clearances so far ok

Hey there Wet,

Well, your engine number is a 78-79 motor, your frame isn't amongst the list on this site, and I can't figure out your carbs. They don't sound like XS/XJ carbs except for the choke cable.
    The springs on ours are more like 25-30mm diameter, and about 30Cm long uncompressed, the slides are brass colored, not black.

Have done several searches with that carb #, can't find anything on it. Any chance you can take some pictures and post them? Cause if they aren't XS/XJ carbs, then we might be giving you lots of incorrect info on jetting and such!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

slides

are the slides flat on one side? If so i'm thinking you got some smooth bore flat slides like on a GSXR(suzuki).I just recently owened one ,a 750 cc. the slides were black and made of plastic actually.If so ,cool,and i'd go to about140 or so on mains as a startting point.My 750 had 155's on it was a lil bit to much though.But than again this is an 1100 not a 750?
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Well fish, it's a tricky one alright. As you probably know, 78's go well with 180 pilot airs and 137 mains. The standard 266X2 tubes have a 3mm top hole to match BS type mains, and have a 4mm bottom opening. They're 44mm long with 16 pinholes. They've also got a pilot/maincrossover hole. The standard 5gz6 needles are 53mm long and 3mm diameter. The 10mm tips taper from 2mm to 1mm. The overall taper begins 32mm up from the tip point. You can compare your specs for an idea in differences but we're probably clutching at straws!

If your motor feels flat and the plugs look lean, drill out some spare mains with a 1.5mm drill and try them. Try a bigger air pilot for a test as well. Bump the floats up or down too, and keep monitering the plugs. Also, drill out the airbox and invest in a K&N filter. You can always tape over the holes if needed. If things are OK on the low circuit, dont go grinding those cutaways. Bump the needles up and down too. Soon you'll be removing and installing the damn carbs blindfolded!

Comment

better now

hi bike going like a train somebody had fitted early mechanical advance unit bike was fitted with electronic advance ended up with 63 degrees of advance motor didnt like it have fitted early tci anyone in the uk got a fixed bit for the mech advance i could buy dont want to weld up a good mech advance carbs not bad but would like somebody to tell me what bits i should use thanks

Comment

Fish, you reckoned the timing was O.K. All the carb suggestions were a waste of time! If the bike now runs like a train, leave the carbs as they are!

Comment

Working...
            X