About drilling the airbox.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About drilling the airbox.

Ok I have a choice to make. I have individual air filters I can install on my 81H but im not crazy about the look on my tourerstyle bike. Now I see that some have drilled their airboxes.
    What is the best way/place to do this drilling? Should I just drill the hell out of it or just a few holes? Any other thoughts and info about this will help.

I also have a K&N filter in her already. Should I consider rejetting if i do this dilling. And where is the best place to get the jets.
    Thats all for now
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

My question is why you you think you need to drill the airbox? It just seems like a greater potential for problems and, IMHO it negates the velocity effect of the snorkel.

The carbs get plenty of air with the stock airbox.

Comment

Well, More air + more fuel = more power. Right?

"Strike up the dilithium chrystals! I need more power to the forward thrusts Scotty!"
      [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
      [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
      The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

I can't imagine how big the jets have to be before you run out of air. But, hey, if you're determined to poke holes in your bike...

Comment

Wayne,

I put holes in my airbox, they must be inside of the actual filter element diameter, then I epoxied a screen ovr them to keep out the big stuff. I was searching for a way to get more air (due to bad milage) and figured it couldn't hurt. I already had a UNI filter. I noticed NO DIFFERENCE at all, no gain in power or mileage. I would go with a low resriction air filter like a UNI or K&N and leave it at that, pods would give you more air but, with out rejetting and adding a free flow exhaust you would not be accomplishing anything.
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Wayne, if you have stock or 4-into-2 exhaust, I wouldn't drill the box, the drilling and rejetting wouldn't pay off enough.
            Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Working...
            X