Hi all and plz Help--in-line resistor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all and plz Help--in-line resistor

Firstly Hi everyone, i've been reading a lot of you posts 4 some time now...
    I really need your help with this---
    I am currently building an xs 11s chopper, it was bought in a real mess an it was cheaper to chop it than restore it, an i like chops,,,,i know many of you will prob think that it's sacralige(?), but i really need your help.
    i am currently wiring it up, the diagram i have indicates an inline resistor from the igniter box to the coils,(4ro box), i don't have 1, i have been on to my mate at the local yam dealer an he says that there isent an inline resistor on tha microfichs for that model...
    but he can find one on the xs11g fichs, but it turns out they can't get them anymore, he also rekons it's a thermistor(ceramic type), can anyone help....does anyone know if it's either, an if you do, can you tell me what rating etc it is so i can go buy one from my local electronics shop.
    any help would be greatly appriceated...
    many thanks
    Dozer

Hey, dozer.

Good luck on the chopper project.

The resistor is only needed if you're keeping the stock coils. If you are using aftermarket 3 Ohm coils, just hook 'em up and go.

On the other hand, if you do keep the stock coils, you can use any automotive ballast resistor from a junker. Go fishing on the older ones that use points, it was usually bolted on the firewall right above the distirbutor. It's a white ceramic square bar with two leads on it. Wire it in place of the original XS ballast resistor.

Avoid the temptation of running the stock coils without a resistor, you'll fry the ignition box.

HTH

Randy

Comment

There isn't an external one on the 80/81, it is part of the coils I believe.
      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

It shows on the fiche for '80:

Part #22: 2H7-85370-01-00 RESISTOR ASS'Y

But does not show on the fiche for '81

I have previously owned an '81 SH, and my bike had one in stock trim, so maybe the fiche is a bit wacky?

In any case, measure the resistance of the primaries, and if you get:

1.5 Ohms - - - use the resistor

3 Ohms - - - -Don't

HTH

Randy.

Comment

thank you....
          you guys are a godsend, i've got a set of gs 1000 coils (not points controlled), i'll measure them tomorrow an let you know how i get on...
          once again-----many thanks

dozer

Comment

hi dozer,there is one on ebay at the moment with other lecy bits,iam in southport and a member of the uk xs1100 owners club,i will make some phone calls for you to see if any one has one.have got a few people in mind.you could always use one of an old ford transit,it was under the battery tray,let me know the model of bike you have, the first three numbers from your frame.

Comment

Hey there Dozer,

The 4RO box is from an 81 Special(SH), and according to my Original wiring diagram from my Original (H, SH) handbook, there isn't one. The Clymer's diagrams show one, but I believe it's incorrect, as many things in there are! Yes, the 78-80 bikes used them, but the 81's don't! I also just checked the Official Yamaha Parts Catalog on their web site, and it also doesn't show the Ballast Resistor amongst the parts list for the electrical system!
              Good Luck.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

There definitely is a ballast resistor on an 80 model. Mine has one.

Comment

thank-you

Hi,,,thanks again,
                  i just measured the gs coils i got an they are three ohms, i'll run it with them, save me lookin 4 anymore bits, so thank-you all.......much apprieceated, oh yea,,,,,
                  just as a wee side note, i was thinking of putting a different set of carbs on her in the future, more modern ones, are there any compatiabe ones out there, i used to run a gs1000 chop with gsxr 11 carbs an i was wondering if something similiar could be done with the xs, or mybe i'll stick a set of weber's on her.

thanks, yez are sound.

Dozer.

p.s glad to see things are a bit more normal now

Comment

Carb Options

I have heard of GSX carbs being fitted to the XS but have not actually seen one yet. Have seen one with 37 or 38 mm smooth bores. It certainly made power but was difficult to ride because it made power so abruptly. You were either accelerating hard or de-accelerating all the time. No happy cruise mode. I think you will be space challenged trying to fit a pair weber side drafts.
                    Ken/Sooke
                    78E Ratbyk
                    82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

carbs

thanks,
                      i'll look into that with the help of my local breaker, itgives me somewhere to start,,
                      i do fancy puttin weber's on her, especially if it's not gonna be easy, i got a fair bit of room now the airbox has been ditched, prob have to make up a manifold so they sit at 20 past 8 as you look down.
                      i'll be sure to let you guys know how i'm doin, there's a good chance i'm gonna need your knowledge in the future anyway, an any metalwork questions you got i'll do my best to answer.

cheers
                      Dozer

p.s i think i just posted a couple of pics but not sure i it worked

Comment

fj1200 carbs

I've been toying with fj1200 carbs on mine.They will physicaly bolt on.Just need a push pull throttle cable set-up.i think they are 36 or 38mm compared to stock 34's.I've also heard that the old kz900 carbs will work (but haven't seen them)
                        1982 XJ 1100
                        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
                        X