1979 Xs1100SF AKA $500 Special Lives!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 Xs1100SF AKA $500 Special Lives!

Ok so here's what's been done so far. Carburetors taken apart(not split). All jets, floats and pins removed and cleaned. Float heights set to just under 1 1/32". I Watched quite a few videos on how to do this properly. Mixture screws set to 1 1/4 turns out after gently seating them and also checking for broken pins. Engine oil and filter changed(Walmart Supertech 15W40). Middle and final oil changed(Walmart Supertech 80w90). New NGK BP6ES spark plugs. New air filter. Front brake calipers taken apart and bled with new fluid. Worked on rear caliper for two days unable to bleed the %$&#@ thing finally discovering the line between the master cylinder and caliper was blocked. Carefully fished some safety wire through it and finally got it to pass fluid. Rear caliper taken apart and cleaned. Master cylinder taken apart and cleaned and fitted with new piston kit...old one was a rusty pitted mess. Bled rear brakes thoroughly with no sign of gunk or bubbles. Battery that came with the bike holds a charge well and is being used. Adjusted cam chain. Throttle and clutch cable lubed. Overall general cleaning.

So last Monday after getting my carb kits in the mail( I wound up only using the float bowl gaskets) I reinstalled them and........WOooosh! The bike fired right up, I couldn't believe it. Actually I would have been pretty mad if it didn't with all the work I spent cleaning the carbs. They were in a horrible state. The engine started slowly roaring higher and higher so I shut it off. I turned the idle screw in too much when they were off thinking the throttle plates needed to be opened more. Slowly got the idle down after a few tries and now the bike, after it has warmed up, will purr along at just a tick over 1000 rpm. I think the clutch plates must have been stuck because it didn't seem like pulling in the clutch did anything. After clunking into first a few times and hitting the rear brake with the tire spinning it seems to be ok. I can't go for a test ride yet as I still have to get tires. I've started the bike a few times and let it idle. The engine sounds ok with no smoke or leaks so far. I pulled all the plugs to check them and they all look about the same. Not clean, not sooty black. Few spots of brown. I guess I wont be able to tell till I go for a ride.

Next up is to get tires. While the rear is off I'll pull the back apart and clean and re-grease the shaft. So far so good. If there's anything else I should check or be looking for let me know.

Oh..found the black plug from the cam chain tensioner sitting on the ground the other day next to a few drops of oil and wondering what is this and where the heck did it come from. I did some research on the forums and now I know..haa.
    1979 XS1100SF - AKA 500 Special
    Bike Pics: https://qq0u.app.link/Fcucd6JL6V

Congrats

Yep, nothing like firing up a xs1100 after its been sitting, abused and lonely for a long time. These bikes are pretty tough and the usual go through of cleaning and adjustments are the cure.....so Congrats on saving another one. SOunds like you went through it pretty well, just make sure you have some new fuel filters, as it doesnt take much tank sediment to screw up the carbs again.

Oh yeah, we LOVE PICS here on club Xs,,,,,,Mike in Sun DIego
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

WHAT MIKE SAID

That initial VROOM VROOM, what a thrill
      Keep us updated after you get those new tires

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Great job on bringing one back! If you like it now, wait until you ride it and realize it's a 40 year old bike with the go of a younger bike.
        I would look for the ACCT sooner rather than later.http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35501 I'm to the point I put one on every bike I build or work on. Cheap insurance, and they don't have the seal to pop out and leak.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

That black plug goes into the end of the cam chain tensioner. You might want to clean the hole with carb cleaner or brake clean, dry it off, and apply a little rtv around the plug and reinstall it.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
          X