Automatic cam chain tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic cam chain tensioner

Well, I bit the bullet and obtained two ACC tensioners from ebay off of an 83(?) Venture. I was going to check the valve clearances anyway on one of my 78E's. The tensioner mounted without a hitch and after several rotations of the crank by hand, I am convinced that all went well.

On the other hand, it has a faring and oil cooler system off of an 81H which had to be pulled up/back to remove the cam cover. What a PITA! To put it back together, I even had to get my wife's help to hold the faring up while I started the bolts for the frame mount. Of course I struggled with it for a half hour before I got her help and I am sore today!
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Good deal. First time I did mine, I bent all of my valves Learning lesson.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I do have another ACC tensioner for the Beast (78E). Fortunately, that one is naked, sans faring. I will install the ACCT while checking the shim clearances.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
        Good deal. First time I did mine, I bent all of my valves Learning lesson.
        I've never done that but a close friend did and that's why I found another source of valves for XS/XJ1100s...

Tony
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
          I've never done that but a close friend did and that's why I found another source of valves for XS/XJ1100s...

Tony
          Oh sure Tony, put the whammy hex on me! (Wish me luck on the second one).
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

It wasn't about you. I told a friend on the sight to wait for me to help him install the new cam chain tensioner, but did he wait, nope and he bent 7 valves.

It's one of those things that if you do it by the book, you're golden. But if you don't, you could be in for a bunch of bent valves.

I'm seriously broke or I would special order more of those valves. Polished stainless valves for half the price of stock valves was a really great deal...

The motorcycle biz just ain't what it used to be...

Tony

Comment

The motorcycle biz just ain't what it used to be...

Tony
              No, it's just a bunch of old geezers. I'm doing my best to promote our hobby.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

A lot of it is the guys that are into bikes don't have the kind of spending money they used to. I'm thinking I need to branch out into something else...

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                  Well, I bit the bullet and obtained two ACC tensioners from ebay off of an 83(?) Venture. I was going to check the valve clearances anyway on one of my 78E's. The tensioner mounted without a hitch and after several rotations of the crank by hand, I am convinced that all went well.

On the other hand, it has a faring and oil cooler system off of an 81H which had to be pulled up/back to remove the cam cover. What a PITA! To put it back together, I even had to get my wife's help to hold the faring up while I started the bolts for the frame mount. Of course I struggled with it for a half hour before I got her help and I am sore today!
                  Sid! If you ever need a hand I am just a phone call away!
                  79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian_99 View Post
                    Sid! If you ever need a hand I am just a phone call away!
                    Thank you Sebastian! Got it covered. I still want to do the ACCT on the 78E "Beast", but it should be a piece of cake since there is no faring. Did you put your bike to sleep for winter? Both of my xs11s are sleeping. I still have the Honda in the ready.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

A lot of it is the guys that are into bikes don't have the kind of spending money they used to. I'm thinking I need to branch out into something else...

Tony
                      True for many of us, but I'm not giving up.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

I didn't say I was giving up but Oregon Motorcycle Parts just isn't paying the bills like it used to...

Geezer

Comment

I didn't say I was giving up but Oregon Motorcycle Parts just isn't paying the bills like it used to...

Geezer
                          I did not intend to suggest it. I'm not giving up on the dream of becoming wealthy, or something along those lines.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Working...
                          X